• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

Noticed lots of Curlew in the fields on the way home from Lincs today. Every field seemed stuffed. Also had a Black Redstart at Water's Edge on the darkside plus the return en masse of Keith's black & White nemesis.

I've just had a look at the British Birds Rarities Committee Work in Progress report and found that my Black-winged Stilt from Clifton Backies in York in April last year has been accepted. I've put some information on my blog about the species' status in Yorkshire.

Cheers, Andy

Nice one Andy. I am gripped! Might take me a while to get that one back.
Maybe see you in the LDV tomorrow.
Cheers
Jono

They aren't my nemesis James.... I just don't bloody like the damn things.

Saw a grey partridge this morning on the way to work, sadly deceased in the middle of the road but you could see the belly marking so sure of the species. Just can't workout what it was doing in the middle of Allerton Bywater.

Noticed lots of Curlew in the fields on the way home from Lincs today. Every field seemed stuffed. Also had a Black Redstart at Water's Edge on the darkside plus the return en masse of Keith's black & White nemesis.

Nice one Andy. I am gripped! Might take me a while to get that one back.
Maybe see you in the LDV tomorrow.
Cheers
Jono

Cheers Jono, might struggle as I'm having to move a horse to a new stables! but will hopefully get out for a bit at some stage!

I'm hoping that Great Grey Shrike is going to make it onto my garden list at some point!!! (NB Seen at North Duffield Carrs this morning and Skipwith Common this afternoon!)

Cheers, Andy

Harlow Carr

A trip out to Harlow Carr today to see the daffodils, a bit premature unfortunately as they still look about three weeks away.

A brief visit to the bird hide was however very rewarding. Its a weird experience as it tends to be bursting with non birders with nary a pair of binocs between them. Today in less than ten minutes we saw four siskins, three lesser redpolls, two brambling a pair of bullfinches and a greater spotted woodpecker. Out in the gardens there were longtailed and coal tits and later an overflying sparrowhawk. On the journey home we saw lapwings, curlew and a buzzard and finally in a field just outside of the village a large flock of fieldfare.

All in all a very satisfying day for a non birding trip! :t:

Graeme

Just thinking about my last post about jumping the fence...I used to do that at Eccup Reservoir until the waterboard renewed the fences. 2 more strands of barbed wire than I could safely straddle without serious fertility problems. That was when I had to resort to watching the birds at Eccup with a scope and trying to decipher little blobs, rather than sitting in the plantation watching them with my bins seeing proper looking birds.

A trip out to Harlow Carr today to see the daffodils, a bit premature unfortunately as they still look about three weeks away.

A brief visit to the bird hide was however very rewarding. Its a weird experience as it tends to be bursting with non birders with nary a pair of binocs between them. Today in less than ten minutes we saw four siskins, three lesser redpolls, two brambling a pair of bullfinches and a greater spotted woodpecker. Out in the gardens there were longtailed and coal tits and later an overflying sparrowhawk.

Graeme

Hi Graeme

I used to work at Harlow Carr and set up the feeding station in the Plant Centre. The gardens get some great birds throughout the seasons and can offer great viewing. Its best to go mid-week (as long as not half term!) and you can often have the bird hide to yourself. The feeders do get a great range of birds through the winter. Occasionally Woodcock, Grey Wagtail, Hawfinch, Dipper and Crossbill in the woodland bit too.

In the spring the gardens hold Pied and Spotted Flycatcher and occasionally Redstart, Wood Warbler and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker amongst a range of common migrants and residents.

The gardens sit nicely in an interesting valley and as a result is good on passage. I've had Osprey (on both spring and autumn passage), Hobby and Peregrine too. Terns are regular on passage too, and during the autumn waves of thrushes go over.

I think the best bird I had there was an Alpine Swift and of course, the Red Kites are regular now too.

I did produce an annotated checklist of the birds of the gardens whilst there but not sure if there are still copies available?

Cheers, Andy

Great Grey Shrike was seen most/all day at Skipwith Common today (I didn't get chance to pop across today) but know it was seen by most of the loca birders that wanted it. Osprey over Wheldrake too.

Cheers, Andy.

Managed to get Black Grouse today for the wifes life list (my excuse anyway)up above Arkengarthdale then slipped over to The Stang in Co.Durham for great views of Crosbill and displaying Sparrowhawks.

Black Redstart-Spurn

I had a trip to Spurn this afternoon-generally it was pretty quiet but there was a med gull at the Blue bell, a black redstart around the caravan site at Kilnsea and another at the point.
Not much more in the way of migrants just yet.

Attachments

• untitled-18.JPG
    untitled-18.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 74
  • untitled-11.JPG
    untitled-11.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 73

Users who are viewing this thread

Back