• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (18 Viewers)

My dad and I are heading to North Cave Wetlands this morning - try and add to our pitiful year lists

I know that there may be Red Kite in the area, was wondering if somebody could suggest the best place to find them

Obviously PM me if the information is sensitive

Thanks

Mal Skelton

My dad and I are heading to North Cave Wetlands this morning - try and add to our pitiful year lists

I know that there may be Red Kite in the area, was wondering if somebody could suggest the best place to find them

Obviously PM me if the information is sensitive

Thanks

Mal Skelton

PM sent

Just had a walk round Adel Dam in Leeds, the new hide by the feeding station has been vandalised, some git has tried to torch the place and also smashed the door handle off. So unless you have a penknife you can't open the door from the outside, thankfully the internal door handle is okay.
The reserve was pretty quiet, only blue, great and coal tits in evidence at the feeders, I did hear nuthatch calling there. There were half a dozen teal on the lake aloing with a couple of coot and moorhens. At least 2 pair of mistle thrushes were just outside the reserve in the fields by Arthington Lane.

Great Grey Shrike

Managed to catch up with GGS at Skipwith Common this pm with 2 kids in tow!!No sooner had I arrived than it went AWOL.Couple rubbish record shots attached.

Attachments

• greatgreyshrike1.jpg
    greatgreyshrike1.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 65
  • greatgreyshrike2.jpg
    greatgreyshrike2.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 61
  • greatgreyshrike3.jpg
    greatgreyshrike3.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 79
Encountered 16 Waxwings this afternoon, in trees by the bowling green on Woodhouse Moor in Leeds, not far from the university. Almost the exact same spot as where I saw them about three weeks ago.

best,
Jonathan

this weekend: Astley Lake and Tadcaster

Hello,
On Saturday was down at Astley Lake, Swillington - in the hide there was a report of a Mediterranean Gull so we spent ages looking at every single gull!! Found it eventually though, nice bird to see. On the way in woodland and fields flock of Linnets and a couple of Bullfinches.
Today cycled from Tadcaster up Wighill Lane and down the old coach road from Healaugh; in a field spotted big flock of black headed gulls but couldn't stand the sight of them after yesterday so didn't search them much - there were quite a few Common Gulls too. A Grey Partridge flew out of the same field too. At Healaugh Manor Farm spotted two Oystercatchers in a large puddle in a field. At Shire Oaks woods between there and Tad saw the usual woodland birds plus close views of a Treecreeper.
Rosemary

Hi Graeme

I used to work at Harlow Carr and set up the feeding station in the Plant Centre. The gardens get some great birds throughout the seasons and can offer great viewing. Its best to go mid-week (as long as not half term!) and you can often have the bird hide to yourself. The feeders do get a great range of birds through the winter. Occasionally Woodcock, Grey Wagtail, Hawfinch, Dipper and Crossbill in the woodland bit too.

In the spring the gardens hold Pied and Spotted Flycatcher and occasionally Redstart, Wood Warbler and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker amongst a range of common migrants and residents.

The gardens sit nicely in an interesting valley and as a result is good on passage. I've had Osprey (on both spring and autumn passage), Hobby and Peregrine too. Terns are regular on passage too, and during the autumn waves of thrushes go over.

I think the best bird I had there was an Alpine Swift and of course, the Red Kites are regular now too.

I did produce an annotated checklist of the birds of the gardens whilst there but not sure if there are still copies available?

Cheers, Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for that. I have had nice birds there before - yesterday being about par for the course - but nothing as interesting as your sightings. I take your point about midweek but yesterday was sunny and warm when we set off and that tipped the scales for us, unfortunately it didn't last!

We are only about 15 miles away so I think that we will have to go more often and see if we can bag something special. Its always a nice place to visit anyway.

Quick walk up to Halton Heights this morning and spotted the first two meadow pippets of the year.|<|

Graeme

3 Common Cranes on Bubwith Ings this pm - viewed from Geoff Smith Hide at North Duffield Carrs. Also Great Grey Shrike present infront of Geoff Smith Hide 1800 onwards. Details and pictures on my blog later!

Just had a walk round Adel Dam in Leeds, the new hide by the feeding station has been vandalised, some git has tried to torch the place and also smashed the door handle off. So unless you have a penknife you can't open the door from the outside, thankfully the internal door handle is okay.
The reserve was pretty quiet, only blue, great and coal tits in evidence at the feeders, I did hear nuthatch calling there. There were half a dozen teal on the lake aloing with a couple of coot and moorhens. At least 2 pair of mistle thrushes were just outside the reserve in the fields by Arthington Lane.

Used to spend hours there in the past Keith - almost every evening and weekend. I don't feel safe there now that the fence has been taken down and it is unlocked. I do miss going though and occasionally nip in with my classes.

Briefly visited Yeadon Tarn yesterday - there is a male mandarin duck on there. Apparently it has been there most of the winter - does anyone have any info about it's origins? I'd like to be able to tick it!

Managed a crappy record shot of the Bluethroat near spurn late this afternoon, a lifer for me :t:
White-spottedBluethroat001-1.jpg

Spurn Bluethroat

I was lucky enough to catch the bluethroat up on a bush next to the ditch it was frequenting today it was quite elusive and the fact that it was dull did not help-cracking bird though.
A few more shots are on the blog.

Attachments

• untitled-25.JPG
    untitled-25.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 135
  • untitled-29.JPG
    untitled-29.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 130
couple of bits:

still getting small parties of siskin on the bird feeder along with at least 4 different bullfinches.

Had a buzzard over Huby (North of Harewood) today being mobbed by a bh gull - I keep hearing there's buzzards around there and breeding in the area but it's the first I've seen - so well chuffed.

a large flock of Redwing ouside the skankiest block of flats in Holbeck before the last Leeds home game - a nice surprise.

I've added pictures and details of the (displaying) 3x Common Cranes and the Great Grey Shrike from this evening at North Duffield/Bubwith to my blog. Awesome birds in cracking plumage!

Cheers, Andy

I used to visit Adel dam on at least a monthly basis many years ago, a friend of mine used to borrow his dads key. Had regular sightings of Tawnies, GS Woodys and Kingfishers in a nice relaxed and quite environment away from the crowds on Golden Acre. Not been for years. I was more than surprised when I heard they had opened it up and taken the fence etc down. It was only a matter of time before idiots would do this - stones throw from a city, dont know what they were thinking!!! Talking of idiots - when I was down at Pugneys last weekend I went in the hide to find the nice remains of a fire and a pile of rubbish just in front of the hide - nice!!!

Went for a walk up Ingbirchworth res area today - not really expecting much but saw some oystercatchers, about 80 Fieldfares, few yellowhammers and a treecreeper. Best sighting however was a couple of Hares, big fellas and a always a pleasure to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back