• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (17 Viewers)

Just the two incredibly bold and showy Waxwings in this tree on Harrogate Road, Chapel Allerton, at 5PM today... http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...f6cisRl9PYTuet4hwhJ6IQ&cbp=12,164.09,,0,-13.1 I'd recovered enough from Tuesday's hernia op to go for a stroll around the neighbourhood today, but had a lift up to Surprise View to see the super moon rising yesterday evening. Just some vis mig of Skylarks and Meadow Pipits there plus a Kingfisher and a pair of Dippers showing exceptionally well on the weir in Otley. May be of interest to photographers as they seem very accustomed to noisy humans close by as the park and play area are popular. Not sure how easy it would be to get low down enough for good shots, though.

I can also recommend spending some time in the evenings in the garden listening for night-time passage at the moment. I have added both Curlew and Teal to the garden list this week; both heard heading north over in the late evening.

Graham

My dad and I are heading to North Cave Wetlands this morning - try and add to our pitiful year lists

I know that there may be Red Kite in the area, was wondering if somebody could suggest the best place to find them

Obviously PM me if the information is sensitive

Thanks

Mal Skelton

Well?

Still a nice group of waxwings in the same spot on Woodhouse Moor in Leeds around midday today, also a red kite drifted low over, as well as a buzzard and two sparrowhawks. Nice. All the redwings seems to have headed north though.

The GGS and 3 common cranes were still at north duffield at first light this morning, and the gw teal at newburgh priory was still there, altho showing terribly about 10:00. Account and awful pics on the blog.

The GGS and 3 common cranes were still at north duffield at first light this morning, and the gw teal at newburgh priory was still there, altho showing terribly about 10:00. Account and awful pics on the blog.

Hi Ollie, Great account on your blog (will stick a link on from my blog). I'm pretty sure I met you in the Geoff Smith Hide last night (and that your girlfriend may have ticked the shrike through my scope!).

Cheers, Andy

Connected with the Bluethroat today. Was really chuffed as had to miss work due to a plumbing issue. That sorted nicely and then good views of the Bluethroat, one of my most wanted birds. Got some bad photos of it. Will put them on the blog later plus reel off the excuses...

James

couple of bits:

still getting small parties of siskin on the bird feeder along with at least 4 different bullfinches.

Had a buzzard over Huby (North of Harewood) today being mobbed by a bh gull - I keep hearing there's buzzards around there and breeding in the area but it's the first I've seen - so well chuffed.

a large flock of Redwing ouside the skankiest block of flats in Holbeck before the last Leeds home game - a nice surprise.

Hi buzzards are getting quite common around the leeds, huby, pannal, harrogate,area with several pairs breeding, along with several pairs of kites , I think it is lovely seeing these birds back, some of the buzzards in the leeds area were from ones that were realesed by people not wanting anymore.

Last edited:
Hen Harrier and Peregrine hunting in tandem together on the saltmarsh at Welwick this morning, saw the Bluethroat again 3 times tween 7am and 7.30, it hadnt reappeared by the time i left at half nine, fresh roadkill Barn Owl on the
A614 at Carnaby, roadkill Badger near Marton Hall first thing this morn too

yeah she did andy! thanks for that, meant to stop you for a chat but you went (for tea?) before i realised. Good to put a face to the name tho, as well as having a cracking evening.

Phil, thanks for the link, very interesting. Nice photos!

Ldv

Last hour at the GS hide no sign of the GGS or the cranes but all the usual wildfowl waders and ducks.Fabulous flypasts by the Whooper swans in the setting sun,not to mention the reliable Barn owl.

But also a stunning dive by a peregrine and a Merlin sitting on a near by fence post.Also good to meet some new local birders especially "Yorkienuts"

p.s belated congrats Andy (schiffornis) well deserved!!

Last hour at the GS hide no sign of the GGS or the cranes but all the usual wildfowl waders and ducks.Fabulous flypasts by the Whooper swans in the setting sun,not to mention the reliable Barn owl.

But also a stunning dive by a peregrine and a Merlin sitting on a near by fence post.Also good to meet some new local birders especially "Yorkienuts"

p.s belated congrats Andy (schiffornis) well deserved!!

Hia Zing...we saw the GGS and Cranes before 9 this morning....the Cranes were spooked by a Land Rover in the same field about 9.45 and didn't return. The GGS was also spooked but by a male Sprawk and did return later but left after 10.............?
Nice to see the the Whoopers, c14, and a couple of Pintail among the usual ducks......Regards Joe..:t:

Great Grey Shrike giving really nice views this afternoon on Skipwith Common, busily catching bumble bees! Photos now on my blog! Also Green Sandpiper over.

Cheers, Andy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back