• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D5100 is it good for digiscoping or not? (1 Viewer)

Bob1960

Hi
I am about to buy a Nikon D5100 and want to know if it is a suitable camera for digiscoping or are there issues which will cause problems or extra expense for me with adapters etc ??
I have read not all cameras are great for digiscoping but am a complete beginner so I could really use some advise ?
I should also note I am buying the camera to use with a 70-300mm most of the time and not just for digiscoping. But really want to know if this camera will be a problem because I have read things about mirrors and viewfinders etc and none of it makes sense yet but don't want to buy a camera that will be a hinderance.
Thank you

Last edited:
Hi
I am about to buy a Nikon D5100 and want to know if it is a suitable camera for digiscoping or are there issues which will cause problems or extra expense for me with adapters etc ??
I have read not all cameras are great for digiscoping but am a complete beginner so I could really use some advise ?
I should also note I am buying the camera to use with a 70-300mm most of the time and not just for digiscoping. But really want to know if this camera will be a problem because I have read things about mirrors and viewfinders etc and none of it makes sense yet but don't want to buy a camera that will be a hinderance.
Thank you

Bob
I wouldn't buy a DSLR for digiscoping as they don't auto focus well, if at all, and create vibration with mirror slap. If you want a camera that can do both functions then look at the micro four thirds options from Panosonic or Olympus.
The Panasonic G3 and 100-300 zoom (200-600 mm) and 25/2.8 lens can do both jobs well.
Neil

Thanks for the reply Neil
Didn't get any replies so I already ordered the D5100. The G3 looks interesting. Does Canon or Nikon make anything similar ??

Thanks for the reply Neil
Didn't get any replies so I already ordered the D5100. The G3 looks interesting. Does Canon or Nikon make anything similar ??

The Nikon 1 series does and excellent job. I use the V1 with kit zooms.
Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back