• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 393 - Simple Question (1 Viewer)

Taxboy

As the budget is a little tight could I use a Manfrotto 393 to support a Canon 400mm 5.6 + a 1.4x converter rather than a more expensive ball head.

I already have a pan and til head for landscape work but can't get on with it for birding / wildlife

Also have a look at the Lensmaster RH1. I had the 393 but prefer the RH1. The RH1 is smaller lighter and a little cheaper than the 393 and is great for lenses up to 2.5/3 kilo + camera.
I am using mine for a Canon 1D4 + 300mm F2.8 IS and extenders and find it well up to the task, it also comes with two decent quality QR plates.

Thanks for the replies - certainly a cheaper option than buying a quality ball head :t:

I have tried using longer lenses on ball heads but cannot get on with them as they are far too slow to set up when photographing wildlife, though they are great for other uses.
Get a good (cheap) gimbal and be happy!

I have tried using longer lenses on ball heads but cannot get on with them as they are far too slow to set up when photographing wildlife, though they are great for other uses.
Get a good (cheap) gimbal and be happy!

Thanks for that always good to hear real world experience

As the budget is a little tight could I use a Manfrotto 393 to support a Canon 400mm 5.6 + a 1.4x converter rather than a more expensive ball head.

I already have a pan and til head for landscape work but can't get on with it for birding / wildlife

Hi,

Yes the Manfrotto 393 will support your Canon 400mm.

Best
Mike

Have a look at the Lensmaster RH1, I find it a bit more convenient (and lighter) than the 393 - though the 393 will support anything currently made.

I've took delivery of the Lensmaster RH2 gimbal last weekend in place of a Manfrotto ballhead. The difference in ease of use was amazing and I'd never go back to a ballhead again. I believe the 393 and RH2 are pretty much the same price.

Purchased a 393 after reviews and price comparisons. I use it with 500+1.4 and find it ok once in situ but why does no-one mention difficulty of transport? Is just that I've not discovered how to get it to lock securely or is it, indeed, impossible? I am hesitating between drilling through one of the arms and inserting a bolt (why are there holes in one upright but not the other?) and selling it intact!
Any help from 393 users appreciated.

Hi Roger,
I made the following modification that may help. Once you have the U-shaped cradle at the height you wish for your lens, any of the spare pivot holes, which are already tapped, will take a standard metric set screw (I think it's M5). I used an Allen headed set screw. Mark through the U cradle hole you intend to use on to the outer frame and drill a small recess into the outer frame to a depth to take the nose of the set screw (there's no need to drill all the way through). This will lock the tilt. I haven't yet found a way to lock the pan movement. I also fitted a small spring around the shaft of the set screw to keep some tension on it to prevent it working loose.
Hope this helps,
Scrapper

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back