• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what setup (1 Viewer)

PS
Kurakura, remember to flock the inside of the extension tube for best results. They are a bit on the shiny side, risk is light will be reflected and impact negatively on contrast. You could also flock the DSLR adapter, though the one made by CNC Supply is matte on the inside it will not hurt.

i am using the 7d... they write in the ebay add that they have various sizes on demand.

do you flock with flockpaper or jus a matte spraypaint?

I have used self-adhesive flocking paper. A bit tricky to work inside the tubes, requires some finger dexterity. But thanks to the self-adhesive glue the paper can be put in place inside the tube and fine adjusted without too much difficulty. After the paper is in place give the tube a good workout with vacuum cleaner. When not used, store the tube in a plastic ziplock bag, they tend to collect dust and fibers.

i am using the 7d... they write in the ebay add that they have various sizes on demand.

do you flock with flockpaper or jus a matte spraypaint?

You can do either, there is literally only about a 5% difference in light transmission between the best matte black paint and flocking material. This link has maybe a better option for flocking using an anti slip tape sprayed with flat black paint. The irregular angles of the anti slip tape will be very efficient at stopping scattered light. http://www.alpheratz.net/observing/ScatteredLight/

I've taken photos through my Skywatcher 80ED to test contrast. Firstly I removed the lens and blackened all the edges of the glass. I took out all the internal baffles for one test photo. With the baffles out I flocked the whole tube for another test photo and finally I put the baffles in and flocked every surface for another photo. All test photos were exactly the same, no difference in contrast.

The lens of a scope will produce a given contrast in perfect conditions. You can't increase the contrast of a lens, you can only prevent the loss of contrast.

I take apart a lot of camera lenses and I tend to use the blackened tubes from them to insert into my extension tubes. I find this works best for maximum contrast and produces visibly discernible results. The tubes are matte black with a lot of ridges throughout to stop scattered light. Knife edge baffles within the extension tubes work well too, don't make the hole to small so that it vignettes the image.

Paul.

You can do either, there is literally only about a 5% difference in light transmission between the best matte black paint and flocking material. This link has maybe a better option for flocking using an anti slip tape sprayed with flat black paint. The irregular angles of the anti slip tape will be very efficient at stopping scattered light. http://www.alpheratz.net/observing/ScatteredLight/

I've taken photos through my Skywatcher 80ED to test contrast. Firstly I removed the lens and blackened all the edges of the glass. I took out all the internal baffles for one test photo. With the baffles out I flocked the whole tube for another test photo and finally I put the baffles in and flocked every surface for another photo. All test photos were exactly the same, no difference in contrast.

The lens of a scope will produce a given contrast in perfect conditions. You can't increase the contrast of a lens, you can only prevent the loss of contrast.

I take apart a lot of camera lenses and I tend to use the blackened tubes from them to insert into my extension tubes. I find this works best for maximum contrast and produces visibly discernible results. The tubes are matte black with a lot of ridges throughout to stop scattered light. Knife edge baffles within the extension tubes work well too, don't make the hole to small so that it vignettes the image.

Paul.

Hello Paul,

I've ordered my flocking material and I plan to do the job this winter. From what I read it seems, like you say, that the scope tube itself does not need to be flocked. What is important is the adapter, the extension tube and the focuser tube.

Regards
Jules

80/480 flp-53 triplet... adapter and extender ordered... 810€ incl shipping

Now its a waiting game... I have sent a message to the company selling the iris and asked about the inner diameter of the 53mm one - will keep you guys posted on that. Guess I will have to order some flocking paper aswell :D

80/480 flp-53 triplet... adapter and extender ordered... 810€ incl shipping

Now its a waiting game... I have sent a message to the company selling the iris and asked about the inner diameter of the 53mm one - will keep you guys posted on that. Guess I will have to order some flocking paper aswell :D

I would be more concerned about the outside diameter. The Iris Diaphragm that you refer to has a variable iris from 1mm to 25mm. They offer many outside diameters and, IMO, you should make sure you will be able to fit it inside the camera adapter or the extension tube. Too small can be adjusted but too large will never fit. 53mm would be too large for my setup.

Also, I would make sure you will be able to unscrew the control knob if you want to be able to fit it inside a tube...

It may be easier and cheaper to make your own diaphragm out of cardboard or plastic and fit it inside one of the tubes. This is what I did. I inserted a 15mm home made plastic diaphragm inside a macro extension tube made for Olympus cameras where I had already installed a 1.5X TN. Easy and efficient. No vignetting at all.

However, I don't think the TN is the best place to put it because it is not in line when I don't use the TN. It can also be fitted inside the camera adapter or the 80mm extension tube. I will need to experiment to find the best place. The diaphragm I made has an inside diameter of 50.63mm - the 80mm extension tube has a 50.50mm i.d. while the C&C camera adapter has a 47.35mm i.d.

I feel that this diaphragm improves the contrast a lot.

Regards
Jules

technosky 80 / 480 arrived in a nice flightcase with carbon lenspen and microfibercloth. mount like on normal camera fits my lensplate perfectly. its alittle rear heavy with the 7d on so need to tighten the screws alittle on my jobu gimbal... its lighter tjan i thought. scope come flocked and baffled.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back