• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica Ultravid "Edition Safari" Binoculars! (1 Viewer)

So probably a Ultravid HD...

Swarovski does have a few catchy models of their special editions.... I kinda like the blue CL Companion Polaris 8X30 B

There is no good reason it shouldn't be at least an HD at this stage of Leica's lens coating development. Why assume Leica would go backwards and cheaper than that on these particular Special Editions and risk sullying their Corporate image?

Bob

There is no good reason it shouldn't be at least an HD at this stage of Leica's lens coating development. Why assume Leica would go backwards and cheaper than that on these particular Special Editions and risk sullying their Corporate image?

Bob

The leather models probably all have the same coatings as the HD models, but they may not have the same glass. From what I've seen of the HD models, and comparing my Silverline to my old Trinovids, the coatings are more important than the glass anyway. And everyone seems to agree that the new coatings on the HD+ line is an even bigger improvement, although I have yet to look through one myself.

If it's really a (former) Ultravid, it's optical the same binocular as the Leica Trinovid (2012-2016) non HD.

When we talk Trinovids we have to remember that there were earlier, older models too: BAs and BNs.

I have, and still use on occasion, the old Leica 7x42 BN Trinovid. I got it after the Ultravids replaced them. I got it at a close out price about 11 or 12 years ago.

It isn't as bright as my 8x42 Ultravid Blackline is. I purchased this Blackline as a Demo in February 2014.

I am comparing their coatings on the objective lenses now and they are clearly different. The 7x42 Trinovids are in the magenta range and the Blackline has dark green coatings. The oculars are different too. Magenta on the Trinovid and what looks to me like greenish/blue on the Blackline.

Bob

if the only thing we judge your optics by is its statistics....you might as well shi-can everything made over 10 years ago and be done with it....but just like firearms, autos, watches, ect the nostalgic factor kicks in makes all the old junk chic and collectable....

if the only thing we judge your optics by is its statistics....you might as well shi-can everything made over 10 years ago and be done with it....but just like firearms, autos, watches, ect the nostalgic factor kicks in makes all the old junk chic and collectable....

If I buy a Special Edition of a popular, high quality Binocular, as a collectible, from a Manufacturer with a famous name like Leica and it is made in 2016 and I pay a premium price for it, I want it to have the same, modern high quality optics that are put in the same standard edition binocular that the manufacturer is currently selling to the general public.

That is not too much to ask for. I do not understand any one who would settle for less simply because it is a "collectible."

If anybody has proof that this is not the case with the current Leica Special Edition, now is the time to come out with it.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back