• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid 8x42, which one? (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I have always wanted a Leica full size binocular, and have been
looking at all of the reviews I can find. Right now the former version
can be found at a close out price, of less than the new HD.

The former model started in 2012, and several reviews say they are
considered equal to the UV HD, optically. Birdwatching.com says they are tied in every score.

Not many HD reviews but some say to lessen the price of these they
use a lesser glass type.

I am not hung up on HD glass, but more on build and optical quality.

I would appreciate your thoughts from users as the new ones are very
new and not found in many shops.

Jerry

We purchased a "former" 10x Trinovid for my wife. She tried out the new version at a birding festival trade show last month and really liked them. She didn't really have any intention of dumping her Razor, but after I told her she could get the earlier and possibly better version for less money, she decided to make the purchase.

I used the new version for less than a minute, so I can't say much other than it seemed to provide a sharp and bright view. It seemed like a very nice bino, and nothing unusual jumped out at me. The new diopter adjustment mechanism worked just fine, but certainly I would have preferred the older style.

The older version we now have has really grown on me. After using it a while, I have come to enjoy it's very sharp and bright view that to my eyes has slightly better color saturation than does the Conquest HD and the Razor. The Trinovid does not have a color bias like the Meopta Meostar. I can't tell that the Trinovid is any sharper in the central area than the Razor or Conquest HD, but it is certainly brighter than the Razor (our Conquest HD is a 32mm, so I won't compare brightness). I have come to prefer the Trinovid's overall view over the Razor and Conquest HD and Meostar.

Build quality is pure Leica. You get a great sense of sturdiness when you pick it up, and when you move the hinge. I do not think it has any less build quality than does our alpha binos that cost more than twice as much. This also means there is some heft to it as well. It weighs noticeably more than the Razor. Of course weight does not necessarily mean a better build quality, but IMO the Leica feels as substantial as any alpha bino out there. I cannot think of any $900 bino that gives an owner a better feeling of substantial build quality.

IMO the Trinovid is also a very handsome bino as well. It has more of an understated but elegant look than does the other alpha brands. To look at the outer armor, you wouldn't think it is as grippy as it turns out to be. I really like the feel of the armor - I think it has the perfect amount of grippiness (probably not a real word). The eyecups are probably about average for it's price. They work perfectly fine, but really aren't anything to write home about. The diopter adjustment works extremely well. I think it it one of the more elegant diopter mechanisms out there. This by itself is enough for me to pick the older version over the new one.

Accessories are of a quality that is commensurate with it's price. The lens covers are of a very good quality, and seem to seal extremely well. We are not using the neckstrap, so I can't comment on it's comfort. The only thing that is a bit odd about the bino is the strap lugs, which are a thin wire lug. At least they are unobtrusive in their appearance, and better yet are positioned away from the edge of my hands. Another noticeable difference from many other binos is the presence of thumb ridges on the underside of the barrels, instead of the more usual thumb indentations. I didn't think I would like them when I first held the binos, but it only took a few minutes of use to find out that I actually prefer the ridges over indentations. Obviously these will not fit every hand out there, but I really like the way the Trinovids handle.

One last thing, before I forget about it -- the focus wheel is nicely damped but still easy to turn. Not too fast or slow. I can tell that is has a near-imperceptible gap when switching to clockwise, but overall I think the focus wheel characteristics are just fine for it's price.

I guess you can tell that for $899, we are happy with it.......

I will update my post to give my opinion of the Leica Trinovid 8x42. I ended up purchasing this
one and decided on the original model over the new HD.

I looked at as many reviews as I could find, and many of them said the Trinovid optically was much
the same as the Ultravid HD, with similar build and quality, and has the diopter close to the focuser.
I find I like that dual arrangement, as it gives you a longer focuser to use with your choice of one or
2 fingers that fit just right to your hand.

The Leica has a nice focuser, that is smooth and is at the right speed for my liking. The eye relief works
well for me without glasses. The accessories are of high quality, the strap, case and covers, I suppose the
same as the UV.

Optically I like the color balance, which appears to be a bit warmer than the Zeiss. I can see some
CA in the view, but is only when I push to find it, nothing I find that bothers the view.
The contrast, sharpness, and brightness are very nice, and I am well satisfied.

I had considered a used Ultravid, as some are found at much more than the closeout price of the Trinovid,
and I am happy I went with this option.

Edit to add:
I found the review that made me want to purchase the newer Trinovid, and not the Trinovid HD.
It is the one on the ABA blog, by Nate Swick.

Jerry

Last edited:
I can't believe I missed this asking which to get!

I have to say I agree with your assessment and PhilR's as well. Truly a lovely binocular and IMO one than can't be bettered for less than $900. Currently, it's a bargain. Great optics and true Leica quality...a winning combination. The 10X42 would also make a great addition!

I had the opportunity to try the new Trinovid model this past weekend at the Cape May Optics Sale. Beautiful binocular both optically and ergonomically. I could have sworn I heard the Leica rep say that the optics are practically unchanged but the mechanics were less than the model they replaced. What less means I am not sure.

I did compare them side by side with the Opticron DBA VHD. It was an interesting comparison considering their similarities.

Glad you enjoy your new glass Jerry.

I could have sworn I heard the Leica rep say that the optics are practically unchanged but the mechanics were less than the model they replaced. What less means I am not sure.

The diopter mechanism was changed from the very nice central hinge location (such as seen on the more expensive Ultravids) to a ring below the right ocular, as commonly seen on the majority of lower-priced binoculars. I would estimate that the new location is cheaper to produce.

I believe that the central hinge is shorter too, but don't quote me on that.

I had the opportunity to try the new Trinovid model this past weekend at the Cape May Optics Sale. Beautiful binocular both optically and ergonomically. I could have sworn I heard the Leica rep say that the optics are practically unchanged but the mechanics were less than the model they replaced. What less means I am not sure.

I did compare them side by side with the Opticron DBA VHD. It was an interesting comparison considering their similarities.

Glad you enjoy your new glass Jerry.

Frank are you referring to the Trinovid HD or its predecessor?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back