• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beach Cleanings of 7x42 and 8x42 Ultravid HD Plus (1 Viewer)

dwever

This past weekend we spent significant time on the Flagler Beach Pier (pic 2) and in Ormond Beach (pic 1), Florida, and of course the salt air required more frequent cleaning. So I used the same technique I've always used with my Zeiss Mariners.

I am seeking comments regarding methodology as as I am concerned about protecting the coatings?

1. high volume but low pressure water from a hose to remove loose grit and film for a total of about twenty seconds.

2. Pop open in sequence 3 Zeiss alcohol foil wrapped disposable lens cloths. One for each 42mm objective lens and the third for both eyepiece lenses.

3. Very gently wipe using additional disposable lens cloths as necessary.

Did an advanced search on cleaning binoculars saw below:

My practice is essentially the same as Kammerdiner/Mark's. I avoid over cleaning. The key is to remove any silicaceous or other hard dust/grit and to dissolve any salt crystals before doing any serious wiping. Make sure you don't clean using a dirty microfiber cloth or lens pen or other device that may have accumulated grit that can scratch your lens.

When it is required in the field, some water or a lick, followed by a gentle drying (rub only if necessary) with microfiber (or more often a clean corner of my fleece/synthetic (microfiber equivalent) shirt is all I do.

At home, it is strong blower bulb and clean brush, followed by thorough wetting with water or isopropanol+water or ethanol+water or water+ammonia on a clean natural cotton ball, followed by drying/wipe with clean cotton ball and a bit of breath condensation. Persistent gunk (rare) gets ROR treatment and removed with Kimwipe.

Attachments

• IMG_2474.jpg
    IMG_2474.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2501.jpg
    IMG_2501.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
dwever,
My way of cleaning generally is: blow away the sand and dust paricles with a blower and brush, then rinse it for some time with hand-warm water, dry it with a clean towel and blow water from the optical parts with a gentle stream of air and clean the lenses finally with proper lens cleaner.
You must be sure, however, that your Leica is absolutely waterproof otherwise you may have a problem.
Gijs van Ginkel

I use the blower bulb and brush to remove the loose stuff...then a Kimwipe moistened with Zeiss spray cleaner...let it it rest on any spots for a couple seconds to dissolve whatever it is, then lightly wipe in circular motion ...then light circular motion with the Zeiss pre packaged cleaner wipes slightly scrunched up to remove any streaking if necessary....the pre packaged wipes evaporate quicker than the spray cleaner so dont clean really dirty lenses as good, but used after the spray cleaner most of the time they leave no streaks at all.....

Last edited:
You must be sure, however, that your Leica is absolutely waterproof otherwise you may have a problem. Gijs van Ginkel

No problem so far.

It wouldn't be shocking if it wasn't waterproof even though Leica trumpets waterproofness down to 16.5 feet. In tests by albinos.com they submerged a pair of Ultravid 8x42's and a pair of Geovids and unlike the other manufacturers, both Leica's leaked like a sive. But of course there was a raft of Leica owner's that rushed to the manufacturer's defense (http://www.birdforum.net/archive/index.php?t-257840.html)

No problem so far.

It wouldn't be shocking if it wasn't waterproof even though Leica trumpets waterproofness down to 16.5 feet. In tests by albinos.com they submerged a pair of Ultravid 8x42's and a pair of Geovids and unlike the other manufacturers, both Leica's leaked like a sive. But of course there was a raft of Leica owner's that rushed to the manufacturer's defense (http://www.birdforum.net/archive/index.php?t-257840.html)

Greater insight into Albinos' so-called "test," can be gained from a best-selling book published in 1954 by Darrell Huff: "How to Lie with Statistics." (Available from ABE Books for less than $4 used.)

Albinos' methods and conclusions are textbook examples of "A Sample with Built-in Bias," (Ch.1), and "Post Hoc Rides Again," (Ch. 8). They are just ignorant of applied statistics, an all too common circumstance shared by several other review organizations.

Ed

Last edited:
Having been to Panama City for a while a couple of weeks ago, I understand where you are coming from...

I find to start with, nothing beats just BLOWING on your optics as hard as you can with lens facing down. No little brush/puffer combo comes close. If THEN something needs dislodging, use the brush holding the lens facing down.

If lens is really dirty a little cold running water and ones finger cleans things right up! Wipe off lightly with a lens cloth OR a clean cotton t-shirt. If not so dirty maybe a little wipe with a Ziess lens tissue.

Good as NEW!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back