• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

drawing birds over a pre-painted background (1 Viewer)

Strandman

Hello all. Just a quickie - due to impatience on my part I find myself with a painted background (acrylics) with birds to be located and added on top.

Does anyone have a tried and trusted method for drawing birds on background without ending up with pencil/eraser smudge and shine on the acrylic surface?

One answer of course is to draw the birds first (and maybe even get them painted first, as Tim did with his marvellous crow). I will try that next time..

But meantimes any recommendations for a clean pencil/eraser combo would be much appreciated.

One method I've used is to make a careful drawing of the bird(s) and cut them out with a scalpel. Using the residual sheet as a mask, I then paint a light wash of pale acrylic into the stencil - this gives a 'blank' shaped space into which I can paint the detailed bird.

Try painting them in with a very watered down white. I use a small paint brush and draw with it like a pencil. That way if you do make a mistake you can just wipe it away lightly with your hand or a kleenex before it dries. Make sure there is enough water though and when you feel comfortable with the shape you can add slightly more paint, therefore blocking in the bird in white. I it does dry and you arent happy with it take a damp kleenex and rub lightly over it - most of the time it will come off. Don't try this too much though because it can ruin what's underneath if you rub too hard. Hope this helps...

I use tracing paper to put in the outlines lightly, but I really like Tim's method, though I've got to be careful with sharp things!

What I take from this that there isn't a really a smudgeless pencil/eraser combination to use on top of acrylics, so if not done on the board ahead of time the working out, rubbing out etc. probably does need to be done separately and transferred by one of these cunning means.

Thanks all- I shall experiment.

I use the tracing paper method too Nick...works well for me.

though I've got to be careful with sharp things
Very good :-O

I agree Tim's technique sounds more effective - thanks Tim - I'm going to try that out.

Cheers :)
Chris

Another vote for the ol' tracing paper. Because I work mostly on illustration board drawing on it is easy. The only problem is that after an application of background colour it has to be redrawn to stop it disappearing completely. I often redraw it with a liner and very thin acrylic to stop any chance of graphite making the colours dirty.

Mike

Hi - Thought I'd add my methodology in case it helps.

Basically I use the tracing approach too - though I never put graphite/lead on top of acrylic as you're asking for trouble. I use blue coloured pencil... the softer coloured pencils, though not the 'watercolour' ones. Draw your bird on to tracing paper, turn over, wash over it on the back with the coloured pencil; then turn over, place on your image and trace with a really sharp hard pencil or even a biro as you need the pressure - though not so heavy as to score your board. You'll end up with a very faint image as the coloured pencil is not as contaminating as graphite, a good thing but can be hard work on the old eyes. If subsequent paint activates the drawing you get blue (or whatever colour you choose) contaminating your paint, rather than the killer graphite.

You used to be able to buy a blue 'carbon' paper for this by Frisk.

There isn't an answer as far as I know to the eraser shiny thing, but drawing and tracing should eradicate the need for any rubbing out anyway.

Whether you can still buy blue leads for technical pencils which allow you to draw direct and again avoid the graphite issue, I don't know.

Hope this helps.

Hi - Thought I'd add my methodology in case it helps.

Basically I use the tracing approach too - though I never put graphite/lead on top of acrylic as you're asking for trouble. I use blue coloured pencil... the softer coloured pencils, though not the 'watercolour' ones. Draw your bird on to tracing paper, turn over, wash over it on the back with the coloured pencil; then turn over, place on your image and trace with a really sharp hard pencil or even a biro as you need the pressure - though not so heavy as to score your board. You'll end up with a very faint image as the coloured pencil is not as contaminating as graphite, a good thing but can be hard work on the old eyes. If subsequent paint activates the drawing you get blue (or whatever colour you choose) contaminating your paint, rather than the killer graphite.

You used to be able to buy a blue 'carbon' paper for this by Frisk.

There isn't an answer as far as I know to the eraser shiny thing, but drawing and tracing should eradicate the need for any rubbing out anyway.

Whether you can still buy blue leads for technical pencils which allow you to draw direct and again avoid the graphite issue, I don't know.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for taking the trouble to add that- this thread is getting to be extra extra helpful: using a coloured pencil sounds a very good idea.

That last tracing paper method has been very well tried and tested by my OH over the years! Especially when he's had an urgent job with screams from demanding employers in the background!
It's advance preparation without the mistakes! ;);):-O

I think the 'drop-out blue' leads are still available from graphic supplies places like London graphics. Used to use 'em all the time until the mac came along and spoiled all that!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back