• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paintings by Raymond Klassen (1 Viewer)

Wood Ducks in progress

This is the start. I'm close to done the hen, and then the colorful drake begins! The web color isn't completely accurate, btw.

Acrylic on Canvas
12"x16"

Attachments

• woodies1.jpg
    woodies1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 50
Great start on the painting, Raymond! I have a couple good reference photos of Wood Ducks but haven't bitten off the over-the-top colorful drake yet. One of these days...

Anxious to see how this rounds out.

Thanks! I know the drakes are quite something to pull off, but for me the hens might be more difficult. I always find it hard to paint a bird that's almost all one color!

Thanks! I know the drakes are quite something to pull off, but for me the hens might be more difficult. I always find it hard to paint a bird that's almost all one color!

And then there's that extraordinary 'eye-ring' which is almost as striking in its own right as the color and pattern of the male. What a challenge they are, and yet also irresistible.

Woodies in Spring

Well here it is as promised, finally! I finished this today.

Acrylic on Canvas
12"x16"

Attachments

• Woodies in Spring.jpg
    Woodies in Spring.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 60
Two beautiful ducks. I was just looking through all my photos of wood ducks today, thinking how impossible it is to tackle the male. No one would believe it! Such a bird couldn't really exist. But you've done a good job with something so beautiful.

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird

Hello all. I completed this painting today. It's nice painting green when outside it is white and very cold. I did this on masonite, which is a bit unusual, since I've been mostly painting canvases recently.

Thanks for looking!

8"x10" acrylic on masonite

Attachments

• Ruby-Throated Hummingbird.jpg
    Ruby-Throated Hummingbird.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I found that I enjoy painting more when I do small pieces like this. Maybe I don't have patience for big paintings, so I think I'll do more of these.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back