• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lumix for super macro (1 Viewer)

Cuckoo-shrike

I just bought a Lumix FZ48 with the intention of using it for macro insect work, as well as for general use. I was hoping it would be an improvement on the FS10, which for the price, is pretty good at super-macro.

Well I didn't check the spec properly and having received it I find that the macro facility is not a patch on the macro zoom on the FS10. It just won't focus anywhere close enough.

So, should I try and improve it with the addition of a lens adaptor and something like the Raynox DCR 250 super macro converter or shall I swap it for something similarly priced that has an inbuilt super macro? I paid £219 for it on Amazon (full RRP is £353).

Any suggestions as to a suitable alternative much appreciated.

Not sure i can help have not got the fz 48 but have the 38 and the 150 and both of them will focus down to 1 centimetre,just set the top dial to the flower setting and touch the zoom you sould see and indicater telling you that the minimum focus is 0.01metres mybe you know this allready give the camara a chance and try it out the zoom means you dont have too get quite as close a scare flity butterflys and suchlike :t:

Thanks Peter. The FZ48 is similar. Trouble is at 1cm it's only in focus on wide, so the object is pretty small. Having said that the quality of the camera is such that the image will take qite a lot of cropping and still be sharp. Needs something to give it more oomph though so there's a bigger image to play with.

......Trouble is at 1cm it's only in focus on wide, so the object is pretty small. .......

I agree, that's definitely a weak point in all these FZ cameras. Often, one needs to get so close that one often shades the object. And despite the fine resolution, one rarely gets a picture that is really stunning. Too many constraints that distract from composing a picture.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back