• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what Birds to expect in Casablanca, Morroco (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
Hello All

planning to spend about 6 days in Casablanca. birding is not my priority but, i would like to know what are the common garden birds, and is it time one can expect to see migrants.

also can anyone give me info about birding trips, around its deserts.

http://www.go-south.org/ is probably the best website for birding in Morocco, lots of trip reports. With respects to regular species you should at least see; House Bunting, Common bulbul, elegans Grey shrike, Pallid swift and Spotless starling. Spring migration will be long over by now, but there is always the chance some something interesting, return migration can start as early as August. Hope this helps.

In addition to the above look out for Little Swift and Red-rumped Swallow in the city.

If you encounter Grey Shrikes around Casablanca they will be the dusky algeriensis race rather than the pale desert elegans. I've seen things like Glossy Ibis flying though that area at this time of year. Reckon it would be a good idea to get yourself to the coast for a bit of seawatching as there could be good terns and gulls around. There's a convenient headland in the city.

I've not visited them myself but there are a few small wetlands dotted in and around the city that must be worth a look if you are close by. Could hold Crested Coot for example. At least Purple Gallinule as they never seem too bothered about urban areas.

There are various companies that will sort you out a trip inland but you are quite a way from the good desert habitat.

One of these wetlands close to Casablanca is 'Dar Bouazza Wetland' (some 15 Km south of the city). Despite it's small area and threats by urbanisation, the wetland holds an interesting assemblage of birds. See this note for the list of species and for general information:

Laïdi K. & Maire B. 2013. L’intérêt ornithologique des zones humides de Dar Bouazza près de Casablanca. Go-South Bull. 10: 21-26. PDF

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back