• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question (1 Viewer)

mvoyzey

Hello - I noticed what I believe to be a purple martin in my yard. He has a very big growth underneath his right eye (dime size possibly). He is mobile on the ground and I witnessed him on the ground eating some crackers I threw out. The growth seems to make it a little difficult for him to eat though but he is managing. I have not seen him fly so I haven't determined yet if he can. Is there anything I can/should do for him? Thank you!

Hi mvoyzey,
welcome at birdforum!
I doubt that your bird is a Purple Martin because they are insect eaters. If it´s a grow you might catch the bird and bring it to a vet. A grow of a dime (mint?) size is sure a serious problem. Clean and desinfect your feeders too if there are any in your yard.

If it's purplish and walking around on the ground, it may be a Common Grackle - certainly not a Martin!

Sometimes ticks get pretty big, it may have one...

Thank you for the replies! The bird is able to fly; I saw him fly after I posted my question. I would be fearful of capturing him since he can fly, it could possibly injure him. He seems healthy all but the growth. He has only been seen feeding on the ground. I usually clean my feeders so I will have to scrub them again. Thank you again for taking the time to reply!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back