• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch HG/ EDG (1 Viewer)

Nikon has had the EDG models in both 8 and 10x32 for many years. The Monarch HG has
just been introduced in the past year or so, and starting with the 8 and 10x42.

I would expect the Monarch HG in the 32 models in the next few months. Most companies
introduce new models in the most popular size 42mm, then the others usually follow.

Jerry

When they do, it would be an interesting comparison to the EDGs in both the 8X32 and 10X32 format. I have been very impressed with the older 10X32 HG, this smaller objective size is new to me and in daylight it performs well in a small compact size.
I never have seen much news on the EDGs- in either format as you said they have been out for a while.

Dries1,

You can find a comparison of the Nikon 8x32 EDG and the Nikon 8x32 HG L (LX L in North America) in Allbinos rankings of 8x32 binoculars. The 8x32 EDG is ranked first by Allbinos while the (discontinued) 8x32 HG L is ranked 5th.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-8x32.html

They are both large, heavy binoculars for size 8x32 and they both have flat fields. That size and weight carries through the 10x32 versions of the binoculars. I own both the 10x32 EDG and the 10x32 LX L and I can confirm that. The differences between the 10x32 EDG and 10x32 HG L/LX L include brighter Dielectric coated prisms on the EDG as opposed to silver coated prisms on the HG L. There is no change in the FOV but the eye relief is longer on the EDG, the oculars are wider, the focusing speed is a bit slower on the EDG and the objectives on the EDG have better ED glass coatings. Their eye cups are removable. Nikon also supplies easy on and off "horned eyecups" for difficult sun conditions.

Allbinos does not rank or review 10x32 binoculars.

My Nikon 10x32 EDG is nearly as large overall as my Monarch 8x42 HG and it weighs 22.9 ounces, almost as much as my Nikon 8x42 Monarch HG at 23.5 ounces weighs. The 8x32 EDG weighs 655 grams or 23.1 ounces.

I also have been wondering if Nikon will come out with 32mm versions in the Monarch HG series and personally I have my doubts that they will.

It would result in the 32mm Monarch HGs being in competition, both optically and in price, with Nikon's High End EDG 32mm binoculars and with their very popular Mid Range wide field Monarch 7 30mm binoculars. Price wise they would be situated in between them. Also note that while Nikon's 32mm EDGs have flat fields they do not have truly wide FOVs while the Monarch 7 30mm binoculars have just the opposite; wide FOVs without a flat field which are not as costly to manufacture.

I think that this caution Nikon is using in keeping its better binoculars from competing with each other is one of the reasons why the Monarch HG 42mm binoculars were built on lightweight Magnesium frames and why they have a wide fields with a field flattener but do not have an expensive to make flat field like the EDGs have. It makes them a reasonably priced attractive lightweight binocular alternative, with larger exit pupils, to the smaller but more expensive 32mm binoculars.

Bob

PS: I would like to make one more observation here.

As far as I know since the introduction of Phase Coatings on Roof Prism binoculars Nikon never made a 32mm Roof Prism binocular that was not in their "Top of the Line." In other words an "Alpha." Their Monarch line of binoculars had 36mm offerings that sold well and most recently Nikon offered Monarch 30mm binoculars but Nikon has never offered 32mm roof prisms in these lower price ranges. Their first Roof Prism 32mm Alphas were in the HG (for High Grade) series and they were followed by the EDG series.

What I find curious is that they have named their new binocular series "Monarch HG." Whether or not this is an indication that they are coming out with a new high priced "Alpha" binocular is anybody's guess.

Last edited:
Bob,

Thanks for the info regarding the EDGs.I found out that Nikon now has a EDG II, but the price is too high for me. I have researched some info on this forum and decided to purchase a 8X32 Hg and was very pleased, the first bino I really saw a flat field, my collection are all porros. I got a really good deal on a 10X32 and another 8X32 Hg together (sold as a pair) and procured them, both new and never in the field. I know folks talk of the excessive weight but I am used to heavy weight in a binocular.
Prior to buying these I tried the Monarch 5 and 7 8X30s but was not pleased with the contrast or sharpness of view, though they had wide field of views and are economical in price, also the rubber armor felt spongy and tacky. I felt I needed better glasses, so I got the HGs. Additionally I also found out that there is not much difference with the later LXL models in the 32 mm format, and costing less was a bargain for me. The Hgs are in my view are well made provide great views in daylight, and the rubber on the case is what IMO what should be used on a good field glass.

For now I am looking for a 8X42 format and will see if I can inspect a Monarch HG 8X42, the price of approximately $900 is reasonable for me, hopefully it will provide a good views in low light, I have two Zeiss jena Octarems 8X50, one rubber armored, they have a view of 130 m at 1000m, but they are bulky for travel, though good for general viewing at dusk from my back patio. I would like to compare the LXL lighter 8X42 to the HG 8X42 and the Monarch HG to see the differences, it would be good to actually se the difference in view.

In summary I feel that the Hgs 8 and 10X32 will provide me good views in daylight and the focusing is perfect for me, quick, so I can go from 50 yards to infinity easily. They also block out light rays well when viewing in shaded areas. I don't wear glasses so the eye relief is more than I need.

I live in northern Delaware near Kennett Square but I spend most of my time for work in Pa, what a great state for outdoor nature viewing.

Regards,

Andy W.

I have heard that what you are asking for will definitely be showing up next year. Think 30-32mm. Should be a great pairing between full and compact but still have the quality feature's we all want at hopefully a reasonable price.

I really want to check out the Monarch HG 8X42, to see the view and the construction. I have not been impressed with the lower caliber roofs in the 8X42 and 8X30 for over $400.00.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back