• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with an Olympus sp-320 (1 Viewer)

sparleb6

olympus sp320 + nikon 82ED
I have just purchased an Olympus SP-320. It looks like a good digiscoping camera (only 3X, threads, big screen, small delay, image stabilizing). Has anyone got suggestions for its use? I'm waffling about adaptors (tube or swing away).

As a beginner, I am looking at a Nikon Fieldscope 82 ED as my candidate scope. Is there any point in getting the angled body?

Thanks

Doug

sparleb6 said:
I have just purchased an Olympus SP-320. It looks like a good digiscoping camera (only 3X, threads, big screen, small delay, image stabilizing). Has anyone got suggestions for its use? I'm waffling about adaptors (tube or swing away).

As a beginner, I am looking at a Nikon Fieldscope 82 ED as my candidate scope. Is there any point in getting the angled body?

I just heard someone suggest the SP-320 might be worth a look. Do you currently have a scope available? I would like to know how it looks.

As far as the angled body you can find opinions either way. If you look up into trees you will find the angled body requires less bending, although some say a straight body helps them find the bird quicker.

Hi Dave,

Yes I now have a Nikon 82 ED scope that I have started trying to use. Despite a good manfrotto tripod, I get a lot of vibration and unless there is a lot of light and the speed gest really fast, I haven't had much success. In my yard where I control the distance from my feeder things are OK too, but in the wild the birds move fast for my clumbsy efforts....

The camera works well; I can eliminate all vignetting. I have now figured out how to make it take pictures faster by putting it on manual focus at infinity.....

Things can only get better....

Doug

I recently purchased an SP-320 for use with a Zeiss Diascope. I purchased the swing away Zeiss mount. The mount is the only thing I've purchased that I really regret. It's heavy, doesn't give rigid support, has multiple failure opportunities. I've missed several shots I really wanted because the mount shifted, the screw mount loosened, etc. Doesn't give consistent alignment either which is why I bought it.

I need to find a quick mount. If you have any luck on low tech mounts I'd like to hear about it.

LG

sparleb6 said:

Thanks

Doug

sparleb6 said:
Hi Dave,

Yes I now have a Nikon 82 ED scope that I have started trying to use. Despite a good manfrotto tripod, I get a lot of vibration and unless there is a lot of light and the speed gest really fast, I haven't had much success. In my yard where I control the distance from my feeder things are OK too, but in the wild the birds move fast for my clumbsy efforts....

The camera works well; I can eliminate all vignetting. I have now figured out how to make it take pictures faster by putting it on manual focus at infinity.....

Things can only get better....

Doug

Hi Doug,
I'm new to the computer/digital world and have become recently interested in wildlife photography. I too own the SP-320, and currently am being shipped a Pentax Pf-80 ED-Angled. Did you get the angled version of your Nikon? And how, if at all are you attaching your 320 to the eyepiece, or are you holding steady? And are you using the image stabilizer option for your shots?If you have found a secure or dedicated attachment please to the 320, maybe there's something for my upcoming Pentax. Lots of questions, eh?
Drop a post if there's anything you are finding valuable on your quest to capture......
thanks,
Casey T

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back