• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starting from scratch- Dryslwyn's first sketchbook. (1 Viewer)

This is outstanding work, Wendy - of the very highest order! I'd love to have painted this little piece, effing brill!!!!

wendy moorhens are superb, cracking light on them. go with the
oil thing and let us know how you get on good or bad.
thougt swan sketch was class.

Hey Thought I'd better get something done myself with all this smashing work being posted. I enjoyed painting this watercolour today from a photo I took the other day when I was drawing mallards.

Fantastic, deserves to be framed and hung as soon as possible:t:

Matt

Thanks folks for that :t: I really enjoyed painting it. I know its not 'accurate' but if I don't paint quickly and a bit 'slap dash' and take risks then I start getting all an*l ( does that need the* ?) and worry too much and lose spontaneity.
I would like to keep painting as I do but at the same time want to improve my technique by seeing better and getting the structure right.

Thanks folks for that :t: I really enjoyed painting it. I know its not 'accurate' but if I don't paint quickly and a bit 'slap dash' and take risks then I start getting all an*l ( does that need the* ?) and worry too much and lose spontaneity.
I would like to keep painting as I do but at the same time want to improve my technique by seeing better and getting the structure right.
Sorry Wendy - but I have to disagree with you. You say your moorhen piece isn't 'accurate' - I don't really know what that means - if you mean it isn't photorealistic or a piece of scientific illustration, then you are dead right -and thank goodness it isn't. I find this piece a genuine thrill to look at - just what 'art' means to me. I can't wait for your next pieces and your progression as a 'bird' artist.

Hey Thought I'd better get something done myself with all this smashing work being posted. I enjoyed painting this watercolour today from a photo I took the other day when I was drawing mallards. I did do some jottings of coots too. I just love the angles and poses they get into. Talking of painting what you see - my husbands comment was ' I thought coots were black'
But they weren't because they were in the light o:D

Tremendous, a real joy. The young bird in partiuolar is superbly observed, the comp is excellent. A minor triumph here, just great...

Thanks for your comments. I think what I am trying to get at Tim is not that I am looking for photo realism or anyting like that - I am a massive fan of Nicks which speaks volumes. I mean I would like feather patterns to be right, and beak lengths , size of feet - like the moorhen for instance. Its important to get things like that right to capture the character of the bird which is want I want to do.

Thanks for your comments. I think what I am trying to get at Tim is not that I am looking for photo realism or anyting like that - I am a massive fan of Nicks which speaks volumes. I mean I would like feather patterns to be right, and beak lengths , size of feet - like the moorhen for instance. Its important to get things like that right to capture the character of the bird which is want I want to do.

Don't get too hung up about beak lengths finer proportions. It will
all come together as your knowledge improves. If your
unsure do some further studies after the event with photo
referance, to hone your take on a particular species. But as
the respected guy's on here say there still is no
substitute for getting a good look in the field and forcing
yourself to really look.

Wendy you have got a flare for capturing the light on
any given scene in front of you it seems,:t: that takes some doing.

Yip, it's the lighting that does it for me, you have the ability of capturing the essence of tranquility in a scene which I find very endearing in your work.

Thats a great help. I think I have been working a bit back to front- sort of thinking I'l never be able to paint birds until I've got a thourough understanding of structure which is daft - that will come the more I do.
Andy I will do as you suggest and look at some refs after the event- whats good about that is I can do something useful to help my art even if I only have a free 10 mins or so in the day.

Thats a great help. I think I have been working a bit back to front- sort of thinking I'l never be able to paint birds until I've got a thourough understanding of structure which is daft - that will come the more I do.
Andy I will do as you suggest and look at some refs after the event- whats good about that is I can do something useful to help my art even if I only have a free 10 mins or so in the day.

Can I cut and paste some of my birds onto your landscape Wendy! ;) (I might manage a whole painting then lol) .... they're truly stunning, I don't think you will have any problem at all with the change of subject matter - especially when you work from fieldnotes/sketches rather than reproducing photo images although that's also good experience Ive found and can produce some great results. (Don't listen to any ''advice'' from me though, I'm just a beginner myself with drawing birds!)

Actually thinking about it, I think Tim's approach, ie seeing mass/shapes in terms of light and dark rather than trying to work out anatomical structure first, would be something I'd imagine you'd pick up on very quickly looking at your other work.

Last edited:
dryslwyn

Your paintings and sketches are a joy to look at, please keep adding more of your art here. I love seeing them.

I love painting myself for fun (and like you, I need a kick up the bleep to do more of it also). I do enjoy it as a hobby, and I find it very therapeutic, and it relaxes the mind from all the everyday worries that we all encounter.

Your paintings of the swams and the moorhen. They are truely stunning.

It just takes practice to get all the proportions correct, and sometimes it means repeating yourself a few times to get the hang of doing exactly that. Use postcards, photo's and pictures of all types and before you know it everything will fall into place. Of course the all important field work counts too.

I think trying to work off a live subject will be difficult as the bird will never keep still enough, for long enough to draw/paint. I would not attempt that until you have the quick movement of eye and hand together, then that will be easy to do

The thing is not to be to adventuress too soon, otherwise it will slow you down.

Most of all be positive about what you do, and everything counts towards a truely successful 'art' story on this thread at the moment - in my eyes. :t:

Regards
Peewit

Really appreciate your comments and will take advice on board.
Talking of jackdaws - which we were the other day I dug out some oldish photos and had a go.
They were in long grass and the photos were not showing detail (excuses, excuses) so I have sketched what I could see. Was a bit lazy with the feather patterns I know. Next task I think is 'best book' work on feathers but not tonight - end of a long week |=o|

Attachments

• jackdaw sketch.jpg
    jackdaw sketch.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 99
  • jackdaw.jpg
    jackdaw.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 107
Really appreciate your comments and will take advice on board.
Talking of jackdaws - which we were the other day I dug out some oldish photos and had a go.
They were in long grass and the photos were not showing detail (excuses, excuses) so I have sketched what I could see. Was a bit lazy with the feather patterns I know. Next task I think is 'best book' work on feathers but not tonight - end of a long week |=o|

This work is super and well constructed to me as your pictures show (along with many others on this thread)

Again try to take things in your stride, and take your time achieving what you need to. Detail comes with practice, and practice makes perfect (do I sound an old bore here!!)

Look again tomorrow, as you say it has been a long week. So see what you need to do with fresh eyes tomorrow. Then all necessary detail will be easily achieved, and I am sure of that with the amount of determination that you show here. :t:

Let us know what you do with your pictures next? Love to see them!! :-O

Peewit

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back