• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oare Marshes, Friday 16th July (1 Viewer)

Lancey

Dear all,
The variety of waders at Oare is gradually increasing and on the rising tide there was plenty to see:

East Lagoon

200 Black-Tailed Godwits
50 Redshanks
10 Ruff
3 Spotted Redshanks
1 Common Sandpiper
1 Green Sandpiper
1 Little Ringed Plover (photo below)
1 Greenshank
2 Ruddy Ducks
2 Common Terns
2 Yellow Wagtails briefly
2 Marsh Harriers

On the estuary

4 Whimbrel
2 Common Sandpipers
6 Avocets

West Lagoon

50 Black-Tailed Godwits
2 Ruff
3 Green Sandpipers
1 Common Sandpiper
1 Ringed Plover

Also on the West Lagoon there was a large number of juvenile Black-Headed Gulls - probably about 100 - that were making a racket begging for food from the parents. The sooner they can fend for themselves the better!

Regards,
Lancey

Attachments

• 160704 002.jpg
    160704 002.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 115
Hi All,

Are the Spotted Redshanks still in their dark colours??

I've only see the species for the first time this year and wondered when they start to get their paler autumn colours...

Thanks.... Ruby

Ruby said:
I'm hoping to go tomorrow....
You may see me there if you're early enough! On second thoughts I may be wearing camo, in which case you may not be able to see me at all!:bounce:

I'm hoping to spot the LRP tomorrow, it would be a lifer for me, so thanks for the pic and the info Lancey

Woody

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back