• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ150 (2 Viewers)

It was on my list,but,there is the Fuji x-S1,also Leica V-LUX 3 was mentioned in the latest copy of AP mag.Looks interesting,a Leica cam with a Leica lens.

Leica V-LUX 3 was mentioned in the latest copy of AP mag.Looks interesting,a Leica cam with a Leica lens.

Just trying to help here,

But,the Panny's,also have a Leica Lens,right back at least, to the FZ-28,which I also own,as well as the FZ-150.
I wont part with my "28"...............But,it doesn't get used much now,and the TCON 17,is on the FZ-150

I have read,its possible, the Leica Camera,is Just a Re badged Panasonic,the Main Specs Certainly look the same,at almost twice the price for the Leica.
I have read about the Fuji as well,and will make no further comment.

I do suggest,however,you do some serious research,before considering,either one.

Like your website BTW,and I also have Mobility issues,hence my love for the FZ-150,and the Tcon 17 makes a big difference too.

This comment,may sound strange,and even I find it hard to believe,But,there seems to be less, loss of detail,using the Olympus Tcon 17,on the FZ-150,compared to using it on the FZ-28.

As I said above..........Just trying to help.

John

Last edited:
Thanks John,I am open to all comments re the various cams.The reviews can be very confusing.
John,many thanks for the kind comments re my website,it just needs finishing for 2011.

Teleconverters for FZ150

Hi,
I am thinking to purchase a tele converter for my FZ150 but I am still making my mind, as I saw the official numbered LT55 (info here http://www.panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fz150/optional_accessories.html ) or a Raynox one offered via a photo dealer: http://www.digitaltoyshop.com/Teleobjetivo_Raynox_DCR-1541PRO_Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-FZ150_t2611_6673_2

An advantage of the Raynox one is the 52mm back lens diameter, thus it is not needed an extra converter as the official 55mm needs.

Any of you had experiences with teleconverters for the FZ150?

I will be very glad to hear about it. ;)

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Saludos!
Jorge

Damian,if you do buy/have bought this cam,please keep posting your views/comments /questions etc.This camera is on my list for Jan,I did mention the Fuji X-S1,also Leica is bringing out a superzoom,but others had dubious thoughts re the latter,so,it seems the Pan 150 is the one.

Hi,
An advantage of the Raynox one is the 52mm back lens diameter, thus it is not needed an extra converter as the official 55mm needs.

Saludos!
Jorge

Jorge

Forgive me if I have misunderstood your post, but please note that the teleconverter does not attach to the 52mm filter thread on the front of the lens.

The extra adapter scews in to the body of the camera so the weight of the converter is borne by the camera body, not by the lens.

I am using a Nikon TC-E15ED converter that was an ebay purchase and the additional reach is very useful. It is mounted to the camera using the LA5 adaptor plus an additional adaptor to step down to the thread on the converter. (I forget the size, but its a bit smaller than 55mm.

I have no personal experience of any other converter and have not conducted any objective experiments but I understand the E15ED is well regarded and I am pleased with the results it gives.

Overall I would have preferred more reach and if price was no object I would have gone for a 1.7X converter as I use it for photographs of birds, but it was a good price ebay purchase so I decided to try it.

The E15ED is quite heavy and is long so I am reluctant to use the tripod attachment point on the camera - I need to make a plate to attach the camera / teleconverter assembly on to a tripod mount.

Hope this helps

Graham

Jorge:

¡Feliz Navidad y Saludos!

The DMW-LT55E 55mm Tele Conversion Lens would need the DMW-LA5E Lens Adapter. This is quite long and would make the camera very front heavy. I’m not sure all this encumbrance is an advantage- outweighing, as it were (!), the portability and ease of use of the camera alone. I find the EZ (Extra Optical Zoom) more than sufficient for my use. Perhaps others could comment on the above.

Having said that, I used it with the old FZ-50, to good effect, however. This was only a 12x zoom camera, though.

You should note that the LT55 itself is not robust (something inside is only glued!) and mine, after jolting, needed repair (£40) and was thereafter, and after more ‘movement’ during transit, soon unusable.

I found with my FZ45 that the EZ was perfectly useable and I seldom used a teleconverter. Also remember that the EZ is there at the push of a button whereas you have to screw the teleconverter into place. The FZ150 is quite bulky and some of these teleconverters are not cheap. when it cames to regulary carrying the camera plus the bulky add ons is the point to consider whether an interchangeable lens camera would be a better option.

Used within its limits though you should manage to get some decent pictures with your FZ150, and those limits are not actually very restrictive.

Hi,
I am thinking to purchase a tele converter for my FZ150 but I am still making my mind, as I saw the official numbered LT55 (info here http://www.panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fz150/optional_accessories.html ) or a Raynox one offered via a photo dealer: http://www.digitaltoyshop.com/Teleobjetivo_Raynox_DCR-1541PRO_Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-FZ150_t2611_6673_2

Saludos!
Jorge

FWIW; here's my experience of using a teleconverter with the FZ series:

I can't comment on the FZ150, but my FZ45 has almost (FZ150 optics are nano-coated, whatever that means|=)|) the same optics. The EZ zoom works great, but not for distant subjects. IME, there's not enough pixels on the subject, so the detail can be lacking. However, with a teleconverter (Olypmus TCON17 in my case) you can get reasonable detail at distance.

First pic is a crop of a 100m plus group of Cormorants; I've just rezized and sharpened for upload. Considering the distance and the equivalent focal length (1020mm) I'm happy with the amount of detail resolved. Also, this was using a wobbly Monopod (I can't get the hang of using a Monopod; I use it like a wobbly post|=)|), a Tripod would have been better. I could have used the EZ Zoom without the teleconverter, but the cropping (which is all EZ Zoom is) wouldn't have retained as much detail. Remember EZ Zoom isn't bringing the subject closer, it's just magnifying what you see in the EVF or LCD (and cropping before saving the image). Before anyone thinks I'm knocking the EZ Zoom; I'm not, it works great with no loss of detail between a full res image and an EZ Zoom one, but it's not bringing the subject closer like a teleconverter does.

So, for distant subjects, it's worth getting a teleconverter, but at 20m or less you might do just as well with the EZ Zoom. Although if your subjects are always distant, you might want to consider Digiscoping instead.

I've attached one more pic that illustrates why I think a Tripod is advisable with a teleconverter. This feeding Peregrine was 50m up a Pylon, and I was about 70m from the Pylon. Although it's a heavy crop, the detail is still there, but there's a graininess that was mainly caused by camera shake. The problem was the Image Stabilisation wasn't good enough at that focal length (1020mm), especially as I can't keep a camera still when aiming it upwards.

All just my opinion based on using the FZ28 and FZ45 with the TCON17.

EDIT: I've just read this back, and I'm not sure that I've been clear enough about EZ Zoom vs a teleconverter.

Say a full res image (14mp on the FZ45) has 1 million pixels on the bird. Using EZ Zoom, at say 3mp will make the bird larger in the frame (as the camera has cropped the sensor), but you'll still have 1 million pixels on the bird. However, using a teleconverter, you'll have 1 million pixels * the teleconverter magnification on the bird, 1.7 million in the case of the TCON17, so more detail.

I hope that's clearer|=)|

Attachments

• P1040115RG2pf.JPG
    P1040115RG2pf.JPG
    263.4 KB · Views: 296
  • P1120081RGpf2.JPG
    P1120081RGpf2.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
I think you explained everything quite well,and I agree,
The Tcon 17 seems to lose very little in terms of Image Quality.

I have both the FZ-28,and the FZ-150,now with adapters for each,and as I said in an earlier post,the Tcon-17 "seems" to be better/even less loss,on the FZ-150,than the FZ-28.

Perhaps,this is just my imagination,or wishful thinking.
I would love to hear what other members have found.

I will say the "150"+ Tcon-17 is a bloody great lump, to hang around your Neck.

Love your Pics too btw,they do show just how good the Tcon-17 is, when coupled with a great Camera.

John

Hi everyone, sorry to but in - wondered if you could offer me some advice too please?

I've read through this thread as I was looking for reviews for the Panasonic FZ150.

From reading about your experiences I am sure that I've chosen the right camera for me - the only thing is that there is a huge difference in prices in online stores, for example Amazon = £453 and a site called Big Norman = £355. I've used Amazon before and trust them but not used or heard of the other.

Has anyone used them before? I don't have a credit card and will be using standard debit card so don't have any built in protection.

I know this question isn't technical or related to birds but I would appreciate any help.

Many thanks in advance

Wendy

Hi everyone, sorry to but in - wondered if you could offer me some advice too please?

I've read through this thread as I was looking for reviews for the Panasonic FZ150.

From reading about your experiences I am sure that I've chosen the right camera for me - the only thing is that there is a huge difference in prices in online stores, for example Amazon = £453 and a site called Big Norman = £355. I've used Amazon before and trust them but not used or heard of the

Hello Wendy,
I do not exactly know about their paying policy regarding debit cards, but sometimes good offers come from beyond the borders, as 'Pixmania' shops do (even those outside the UK) or a very good website called 'digitaltoyshop'.

I have bought in both of them and I became a very, very satisfied costumer!
Hope this helps.
Saludos

Jorge

FZ150 Tele convert

Hi to all,
First of all, I would like to thank you every contribution you made on this matter. Some of them opened my eyes and gave me the opportunity to focus my search. Now, Santa 'ho ho ho' have ordered from 'DigitalToyShop' the new Raynox 1.54X converter for me, which is a high quality tele with 4 lens/2groups built-in. They told him (me) that it will be arrive home in 72 h, so this coming week I will be ready to tell you about this piece...

If you want to check some of the pictures I have been taking with my Panasonic Lumix FZ150, feel free to check my FlickR site at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jotagarzon All the bird and scenery pictures a taken with this model, no teleconverted attached (yet) ;)

Hope everyone here has a healthy and peaceful year 2012, plenty of happiness and Nature!!!
Saludos

Jorge

My last 2011 picture with my FZ150

Dear all,
I would like to share with you my last image for this year. As usual, taken with my beloved Panasonic Lumix FZ150 with no converter at all and at full zoom extension. I am extremely satisfied with the quality of this sample and the quality reaches the one given by an ordinary DSLR camera, much bigger and heavier.

Picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jotagarzon/6605998315/in/set-72157628648409603/lightbox/

A very good evening light, 5,5 frames/second, distance to the plover about 6 m and a firm and steady hand. No hide at all! That's it! :t:

I'd like to use this shot to wish a Very Happy New Year to all BirdForum'ers & FZ150'ers. ;-)

Saludos!

Jorge

Thank you

Hi Jorge

Thank you for your reply and Happy New Year...

Your photos are amazing and spurred me on. I tried to get a FZ150 at Jessops today but they don't stock them so... I've ordered one online at Big Norman - hope to get it on Wednesday/Thursday!!!

Can't wait to join you all properly as a fully fledged FZ150 owner!

Happy New Year everyone...

Wendy

Hi, I have just sold my dslr and have been reading this thread with interest. I have been quite impressed with the photos on here and decided to probably go with an fz150, when I can get one! not many places seem to have them at the moment. I noticed a couple of places have them, ukcamerastore and fotosense, has anyone heard of or had dealings with these retailers before? I did a search but couldn't find anything much about them. I think the zoom and ease of use will be great as I am mainly interested in taking photos of birds, thanks, jacqui :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back