• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Evening at Oare Marshes, Tues 13th July (1 Viewer)

Lancey

Dear all,
This evening at Oare in N Kent was a very productive two hours, and no high tide in sight!

The East lagoon was the first stopping off point and no less than nine multi-coloured Ruff were patrolling the edges of the islands. More subtle were two Green Sandpipers which were close in to the reed fringed muddy banks. A single Spotted Redshank was moulting into winter plumage.

Walking along the footpath by the West Lagoon a line of 4 Whimbrel flew upriver and a further 2 were showing on the foreshore. On the lagoon itself were a group of 150 Black-tailed Godwits and a further 5 Green Sandpipers.

Returning to the East Lagoon I saw a group of 7 Little Egrets fly south at 8pm and at 8:20pm a Mediterranean Gull joined the 50+ Black-Headed Gulls on an island where it remained until at least 8:40pm. The gull initially looked like an adult with a black hood, blood red bill and white eye crescents but the primaries were a mix of black and white indicative of a 2nd summer bird (in my opinion). Three photos of this bird are included below.

A Little Owl was on a telegraph pole getting grief from a group of 4 Magpies which rounded off the evening nicely - I must get to Oare at high tide at some point!

Lancey

Attachments

• medgull 001.jpg
    medgull 001.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 164
  • medgull 002.jpg
    medgull 002.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 153
  • medgull 003.jpg
    medgull 003.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 160
I was down at Oare yesterday morning,seems a good time to visit just now,with over 50 species seen in about 3 hours and 14 different Waders.

In addition to those in Lancey's report,I saw Dunlin,Little Ringed Plover,Curlew,Avocet and Greenshank and apparently there were a couple of Common Sandpipers on the West flood which I missed.
Several Turtle Doves and the Little Owl were nice,but didn't see a Med Gull (agree with 2nd Summer in the pics above)

Oh and two of Woody's unmentionables in front of the foreshore Hide!

Grousemore said:
I was down at Oare yesterday morning,seems a good time to visit just now,with over 50 species seen in about 3 hours and 14 different Waders.

In addition to those in Lancey's report,I saw Dunlin,Little Ringed Plover,Curlew,Avocet and Greenshank and apparently there were a couple of Common Sandpipers on the West flood which I missed.
Several Turtle Doves and the Little Owl were nice,but didn't see a Med Gull (agree with 2nd Summer in the pics above)

Oh and two of Woody's unmentionables in front of the foreshore Hide!

I'd agree.....

Popped down there this morning for a couple of hours (until persistent rain stopped play!) and saw quite a bit...

Didn't see the Greenshank or the LRP, but did see Ringed Plover.
Saw 2 Green Sandpipers and one Common (East flood)
Several unmentionables and a Curlew
Quite a few Dunlin now
Saw the Turtle Doves, but not the Little Owl - is that in the same sort of area??

I posted a thread a few weeks back about a funny looking Ruff, and it was mentioned that their plumage is very variable...

Yes!!

Saw maybe 8-10 Ruff today... no two of them alike (in plumage)...collectively looking like an explosion in a paint factory!!

All the best..... Ruby

PS Still hoping for Little Stint or Curlew Sand... maybe it's still a bit early...

Ruby said:
but not the Little Owl - is that in the same sort of area??
I've seen it on the west side usually in the waste area south of the West Hide - sometimes sat in the window of the old building.

Hi Ruby, I know what you mean about the Ruff,how does the song go..."One black one,one white one and one etc etc..."

I saw the Little Owl in the trees to the left of the path leading to the ancient hide that overlooks the West flood,along with some of the T.D's and a Green Woodpecker.
The LRP was very near a Ringed Plover on the West flood,side by side there is a noticeable size difference,which I hadn't really appreciated before.
Sorry about the weather,that's why I made a dash yesterday...woke up and the sun was out for once!

Thanks chaps for the hints re: the Little Owl - guessed that was where it might be...

The rain was a real nuisance today.... Had time for a good look around the East Flood, but it was raining quite steadily and a bit misty by the time I got along the sea-wall to the West Flood, so not very easy to see much at all...

Didn't make it to the old hide at all this time...

Been a bit busy with work recently, but I may try to make it down again this weekend...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back