• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

90 minutes at Blacktoft Sands (1 Viewer)

intellectual

England
Hello,

We had no intention of going anywhere near Blacktoft Sands, when we first set off. Three places we had hoped would give a good return of species on my local patch proved otherwise. So this is why we headed for the "sands".

I had hoped to see a Barn Owl, which for me would be the first of the year.

On arriving we went to the reception hide, we were told thirty minutes before the Bittern was "on show"!

We made our way to the Singleton Hide, hoping it was still to be seen, famous last words!! Any way this is what we saw from two hides:

Black-headed Gull
Mallard + juvs
Swift
Black-tailed Godwit
Marsh Harrier - 3
Ruff
Snipe
Canada Geese + juv
Cormorant
Grey Heron + 2 juvs
Common Sandpiper
Blackbird
Avocet
Wood Pigeon
Coot
Dunlin
Gadwall
Teal
Lapwing
Magpie
Pheasant
Moorhen
Pochard
Redshank
Goldfinch

Twenty-five species of bird saved the day, especially seeing three Marsh Harriers and two juvenile Grey Herons [having never seen young G.H.s before].

Regards

Balcktoft Sands was the reason I joined the RSPB!

:bounce:

Fantastic place, especially watching the harrier's over the reeds, 'dancing' above the heads of the bearded tits and avocets!

lee_adc said:
Balcktoft Sands was the reason I joined the RSPB!

:bounce:

Fantastic place, especially watching the harrier's over the reeds, 'dancing' above the heads of the bearded tits and avocets!

Hi Lee,

SNAP.

Regards :clap:

Blacktoft Sands

intellectual said:
Hi Lee,

SNAP.

Regards :clap:

I absolutely agree with all of you. I went to Blacktoft three weeks ago and got seven lifers in a few hours - water rail, ruff, green sandpiper, sedge warbler, reed warbler, barn owl and marsh harrier - (I haven't been birding for all that long). There were also several beautiful black-tailed godwits in summer plumage, as well as spotted redshank. I shall be returning again soon, hopefully to see the bittern that has been reported.

Regards, Caroline

I best remember my first visit to Blacktoft not for the birds ( of which there were many ! ) but for the weasel that sat on my boot , on one of the footpaths , for a full five minutes before toddling of into the undergrowth again , magical !!

Ashley.

CarolineT said:
I absolutely agree with all of you. I went to Blacktoft three weeks ago and got seven lifers in a few hours - water rail, ruff, green sandpiper, sedge warbler, reed warbler, barn owl and marsh harrier - (I haven't been birding for all that long). There were also several beautiful black-tailed godwits in summer plumage, as well as spotted redshank. I shall be returning again soon, hopefully to see the bittern that has been reported.

Regards, Caroline

Hi Caroline & Ashley,

Thanks for your comments.

An anecdote about my first time at the "sands".

Went with regular birding pal in February a few years ago. When we arrived it was cold and a strong breeze was blowing. We visited all six hides and during the course of the afternoon, the weather turned nasty very nasty!! The wind got up to about a force nine, the temperature dropped dramatically and it bucketed down with rain. By the time I got back to the car I was knackered, wet through, frozen stiff and my fingers were that numb I couldn't hold the car key let alone put it in the lock to get in the car. My pal who had wisely put gloves on before we set off unlocked the car. Boy was I glad to get the heater on, it took thirty minutes to be in any state to drive. Then another nine hours when I finally got home to feel comfortable again.

My last words as I drove away from Blacktoft that day were, " that's the last time I'll come to this b****y place!!!!!" And it was actually two months before I set foot there again. And when I did it turned out to be a very good day: a Scaup was present and I saw it.

The place is my second favourite of all the different places I go to.

Regards

A place I like to visit a couple of times a year, mainly for the Avocets which we don't see too many of around here. It's the place I first saw Bearded Tit and Spotted Redshank.

We usually manage some decent species there.

IanF said:
A place I like to visit a couple of times a year, mainly for the Avocets which we don't see too many of around here. It's the place I first saw Bearded Tit and Spotted Redshank.

We usually manage some decent species there.

Hello Ian,

If you haven't been for a good while you will see the hides have been given a lick of paint and other small changes. It does help when money has been "donated" by this body or that body.

Good luck next time you visit.

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back