• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ticking Feral Pigeon (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
The following posts were recently made on a thread

SimonC said:
Ticking a Feral Pigeon would feel the same as going to my local PetSmart (or whatever it's called now?) and ticking the Peach-faced Lovebirds and Zebra finches that are free-flying around the rafters! (they must have some really clumsy Saturday staff there!)
I'll wait until I see a "pure" Rock Dove (do these actually exist anymore?)

and the opposite view

ground-roller said:
I've never understood the logic - tick Canada Geese and horrid screechy Parakeets plus dubious Pheasants like Golden that barely hang on and are hardly self-sustaining but not the most successfull urban bird in Britain. They're living wild whats wrong with them?

so what do you think?

Hi Pete
My view is; you are right Feral Pigeon are a successful self-sustaining species that deserve there place in any ornithological list (Spain also has a similar problem to Britain), and therefore tickable. But where it is wrong (in my mind) is how they are lumped with Rock Dove, where in there isolated habitats (Western Isles, Eire, etc) they are a beautiful creature nothing like the thing that flies around Britain's towns and cities. I am not into geneology and I am sure that someone will give me valid reasons to why they are, and should be lumped together. I am sure anyone who has been to Islay, and seen their population will understand what I am trying to say (not very well). So yes I do think you should be able to tick Feral Pigeon unless it is decided to downgrade the other plastic birds Pheasants, Parakeets, Mandarin etc.

Jules is absolutely right. There is no logical reason on earth not to tick Feral Pigeon. It's a bird and it's an established member of our avifauna. However, I don't ticks flocks that are zipping across the sky in tight formation since I assume they're captive racers, not feral birds.

I agree with the comments about Rock Doves! They really are pretty birds when you catch a flock in the Hebs! Here're some I photo'ed on Lewis about 15 years ago.
But some Stock Doves in Norwich Market are nearly identical, it has to be said! So I personally would have only ticked a flock on a Scottish island!

Attachments

• rock dove.jpg
    rock dove.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 218
I agree with Jules and Jason. Feral Rock Doves (or Rock Pigeon as the BOU now calls them) are just as valid as Golden Pheasant etc. although there is something more satisfying about seeing the uniform marked flocks in the Isles.

I had always understood that Feral Pigeon and Rock Dove are the same species i.e. Columba livia so the question of "lumping" does not arise.

Jules Sykes said:
Feral Pigeon are a successful self-sustaining species.
Columba livia domestica is a domesticated form (and their descendants) of wild C. l. livia, so they belong to one species (who can interbreed & produce fertile offspring).

On the issue if domestica is a wild creature - my opinion is: not; it doesn't occur outside shelter & food provided (mostly unintentionally) by people. Also Passer species are depending on human settlements.

If a species can survive outside year round & breed succesfully, it is tickable to me.

The way I see it is that you tick stuff like feral Barnacle/Canada Geese and Pigeons unshamefully and then when you have seen the pukka thing in Scotland you slag everyone off for ticking feral birds with an air of smugness! ;)

Damn right Andrew ;)
And as i`ve seen Rock Doves, small race Canada Geese and Barnacle Geese et al in Scotland this year....
Then shame on you all for ticking those obviously plastic birds!

They`re nothing like those Mandarins, Golden Pheasants and Ring-necked Parakeets I`ve counted which are quite plainly wild, self supporting and valid!

Jasonbirder said:
Damn right Andrew ;)
And as i`ve seen Rock Doves, small race Canada Geese and Barnacle Geese et al in Scotland this year....
Then shame on you all for ticking those obviously plastic birds!

They`re nothing like those Mandarins, Golden Pheasants and Ring-necked Parakeets I`ve counted which are quite plainly wild, self supporting and valid!
Yeah! And Greylags too!

Morals of course not....I`ll tick anything ;)
I even put my Moth trap in my next door neighbours garden when they go on holiday...and count the catch on my garden list!

CJW said:
Have you people no morals?

so you haven't counted any of them Chris?

Personally I take the view that if its a self sustaining live bird then I'll tick it.....
So I've ticked Feral Pigeon - not a satisfying bird but a valid one

Jasonbirder said:
Morals of course not....I`ll tick anything ;)
I even put my Moth trap in my next door neighbours garden when they go on holiday...and count the catch on my garden list!
That's okay providing you carried the trapped moths to your garden!!!

Everything I can ID goes on the list [well, if it flies, and no domestic ostriches]. Thinking back to a trip I have pictures from, I ticked off Roadrunner. Also Great Tit from bus window in Helsinki! My Europe list is 3 birds.

Last edited:
I've only ticked feral pigeon on my office list - because I only started the office list recently and I need the ticks! I wouldn't condemn anyone for ticking it though, for all the reasons stated.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back