• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Northern Mockinbirds run like RoadRunners on the ground? (1 Viewer)

Terry O'Nolley

Cow-headed Jaybird
Do Northern Mockingbirds run like Road-Runners on the ground?

I was watching a bird earlier today (on the ground) that I thought was a Northern Mockingbird, but its tail looked clearly longer and it had a very, very dark black "eye mask" that extended from well in front of the eye to well behind the eye. It also had dark wing markings. And it ran along the ground like a road runner - head down, tail back and legs going very fast.

Is this normal mockingbird behaviour? I've never really watched them on the ground before.

I saw him in central Maryland running through short scrub brush type meadow foliage.

Last edited:
It sounds like a mockingbird. I have seen them run like that before. I have also seen their markings vary a bit. When I lived in New Jersey, there was one that lived near my house with more prominent black markings, like you have mentioned.
Maybe someone else will come along with a different and better idea.

Good luck
Elizabeth

birdpotter said:
It sounds like a mockingbird. I have seen them run like that before. I have also seen their markings vary a bit. When I lived in New Jersey, there was one that lived near my house with more prominent black markings, like you have mentioned.
Maybe someone else will come along with a different and better idea.

Good luck
Elizabeth
Thanks Elizabeth - When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras :)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back