• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do barbets hunt? (1 Viewer)

Blue Jay

Lucas Berrigan
I am writing an essay about barbets and I need to know how barbets hunt. I looked all over the internet and I couldn't find a description. Anyone who has viewed them flycatching, could you please solve my mystery?

Thanks.

Lucas,
Give me a specific Barbet(s). They differ according to their habitat, and also if they are nesting. Generally frugivorous, but complement diet with Arthropods mostly.

By the way, you should forget the site where you read that. It is Herring Gull, not Herring gull.

Lucas,
All Barbets have a diet with an animal and plant (mostly fruits) component. The amount of the animal component increases sharply right after hatching when more noble components are necessary for growth and development of the hatch. More specifically, for the Coppersmith Barbet, the major diet component are fruits including figs, guavas, mangoes, custard-apples, berries, etc. The animal component consists of crickets, beetles, mantids and various insect larvae. The birds will opportunistically hawk (from a perch) winged termites (probably true also for winged ants) during their nuptial flight, as well as moths. They have also been seen tapping tree trunks and working over branches searching for insects.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back