• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prints do not look the same as on monitor - help!! (1 Viewer)

kennygee

What is the best way to set up a printer so that the prints are the same colour balance as seen on the monitor?

Up to now I have only viewed my shots on screen but since recently acquiring a printer I am struggling to make this work.

Cheers

Ken

Hi Ken

Their are several ways to do this you can buy expensive calibration software or if you have Adobe photoshop installed then use Adobe gamma which will guide you through the process of calibrating your monitor.The other step worth taking is to run a head cleaning cycle on your printer.you will need to calibrate the monitor roughly once a month.Also make sure the monitor has warmed up before you do the calibration.

Cheers Steve.

kennygee said:
What is the best way to set up a printer so that the prints are the same colour balance as seen on the monitor?

Up to now I have only viewed my shots on screen but since recently acquiring a printer I am struggling to make this work.

Cheers

Ken

Hi Ken

Once you have calibrated your monitor (and saved the settings) you will need to set the printer's "colour management" to the same settings as your monitor. I am only familiar with my Epson but I suspect the principle is the same for all:

Go to the control panel - select printers - right click on the printer you want -select the colour management tab - add profile (thats the settings you've saved) and then apply that profile.

It wasn't until I did this that I got anything off my printer that looked anything like what I had just careful set up in Photoshop!

Steve and Nigel

Thanks, thats solved the problem for me. I knew about monitor profiles but didnt realise that printers had profiles too!

Cheers

Ken

Thanks to all of you! In the past I had searched tech forums for the very answer you gave here! Thank you! I have just gone in and figured out how to do this and it wasn't as hard as I thought! Again thank you very much! Now to do a test print as soon as my new color cartridge comes in LOL GBU Moonifa

One of the better sites I've found online to assist in calibrating your monitor and printer can be found at http://www.aim-dtp.net/ There is some extensive and valuable information there about all the pitfalls and problems that can cause color discrepancies. As well as some excellent gamma calibration charts for your monitor. The author even shows examples of how the JPG compression method you use for your image files can alter your color match.

That constant wail - if only I had become a member of bird forum years ago!

I really need to be able to photograph my work and then print accurately. I have had two Epson printers and they both had a strong red tendency, so greens got very muddy. I asked around but no one could help and it wasn't until I switched to a Canon (pixma ip4000 - which I'm very pleased with) that I started to get decent colour reproduction.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back