• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uploading Exif with image? (1 Viewer)

Skipton

Trevor Wood
I'm sure the answer is simple and obvious but; can somebody please tell me how I include the EXIF information with my gallery uploads?
I am using Photoshop CS and upload my images via "Save for web". I am obviously missing something obvious but darned if I know what it is.
I want to oblige those who have asked for the Exif info.

Trev

Andrew Rowlands said:
Sorry Trev, the Gallery software 'strips out' the exif info!

The main Forums don't - different software ...

Andy.

Thanks for that, Andrew.

It would appear that, if someone asks for the exif info, the best option would be to send the image along with its exif by private message or E-mail?

Trev

Could I just ask a question, please?

I'm sure there is a very very simple answer, but I'd like to know how to find the exif data for images posted in threads. I've tried to work it out but can't find out how.

Andrew Rowlands said:
I've no idea Mark (not my department ... ) - it may be a speed/bandwidth issue? - the smaller the file, the quicker it can be 'served'?

Andy.

Thanks (again!) Andy. This would be my guess too, but how much difference does it really make to a 100kb file?
I guess to do with the automated thumbnail creation?

Cheers Mark.

mw_aurora said:
... how much difference does it really make to a 100kb file?
I guess to do with the automated thumbnail creation?
Out of my comfort zone here but I guess the byte size of the exif is the same no matter how big or small the image - so the smaller the image, the bigger proportion would be exif?

Yes, it could well be a trade-off in the software (if the exif was retained to thumbnail level, it could double(?) the data size of the image).

Agreed, does anyone know how big exif data is?
My thoughts were around what else gets lost in an image when processed by the software. I have noticed a loss in quality of a couple of my images on other 'gallery' sites (but not BF so far), especially on whiter areas and exageration of 'noise' (compared 'side by side' in IE).
Although, I am sure most of it is down to the images I posted in the first place - should have found neatimage sooner!

Andrew Rowlands said:
Sorry Trev, the Gallery software 'strips out' the exif info!
Hi Andrew,

I have Opanda Iexif 2 installed and I can read the exif in Gallery images if it's available - I've just tested these random images for example, and the exif's there:

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/66138
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/66115
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/66135

The size of an exif file saved by Opanda (and formatted in XML) is about 75kb, but as raw text (as attached to the image) and saved from Irfanview it's only 2kb...

Last edited:
Keith Reeder said:
... I've just tested these random images for example, and the exif's there ...
Ah, thanks for putting me right on that Keith - just checked the Swallow pic :t:!

So it depends on the software used to process before uploading then ... that puts a different slant on it.

Andy.

Ooops!............ so we are back to my original query!

I suppose the best way to find out is to contact Poscardcv, greenbunion and a.dancy..... ask them how they do it. I'll wait awhile to see whether they read this and repond before doing so.

Trev

Skipton said:
I'm sure the answer is simple and obvious but; can somebody please tell me how I include the EXIF information with my gallery uploads?
I am using Photoshop CS and upload my images via "Save for web". I am obviously missing something obvious but darned if I know what it is.
I want to oblige those who have asked for the Exif info.

Trev

I've read that if you use "Save for web" either the EXIF data isn't saved or it can appear inaccurate to those who view it (ie: says flash was off when it was on, etc...). If you save the file as a jpeg, the EXIF data should upload with it accurately.

Not sure if that will work on files you already did a "Save for web" on though.

My photos have EXIF data with them. I use PhotoShop and do not use 'save for web'. Rather I size my image as I want 800 pixels wide is common for my web use. Then when I save I have the option for compression - I usually use around 50% for web use. This results in a ~100K file with complete EXIF data.

http://www.jbs-blog.com/images/offsite/Holshouser Building IMG_2672.jpg

However ... further processing by software that I use to make my web galleries removes the EXIF info.

You just need to check every step of the process!

I find EXIF data is minimal size, usually a couple of K.
The reason that web-site owners strip the EXIF out is because there is a nice UNIX tool (probably Windoze and Mac have something) that strips out all the unwanted stuff +EXIF data in one fell swoop - this can really reduce your image size.
I run a Perl script on my PC to strip the rubbish and insert EXIF data using the IPTC tags that the older Photoshops used; typically 400K JPEGs turn into 40K JPEGS, and 1200x800 images trim down to around 100K when saved at around 90% (i.e. a small amount of compression). However, on my web-site I run the standard stripper on all images.
If my hosting service would only instal the necessary bits of GD, I would use my Perl stripper to retain the EXIF and IPTC data and to add a visible copyright notice.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back