• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater vs Lesser Scaup - Minnesota, USA (1 Viewer)

bost85

I took these back in April of this year in Minnesota, USA. I wonder if the first one could be a lesser scaup? The white band on its wing seems short enough to be consistent with that. #2-4 are the same duck and the forward peak of their head seems consistent with greater scaup? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3444.JPG
    IMG_3444.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4480.jpg
    IMG_4480.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4488.JPG
    IMG_4488.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_4489.jpg
    IMG_4489.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 126
Apart from the head shape and the wingbar the vermiculations on the back aren't coarse enough for Lesser and the tip of the bill is showing far to much black. Greater Scaup.

Chris

Just borrowed a laptop ( looking on phone before ). The vermiculations are very coarse at the rear of the back + only the nail on the bill is black. Lesser.

Chris

Just out of interest, what age do female Lesser Scaups gain a pale iris? I've seen photos of female types with a pale iris, but birds like that one look adult, and I've seen photos of known adults with a darkish iris? In Greater Scaup the imms only seem to have a dark iris to somewhere around mid-2cy I think going on experience and observations

Pyle's Identification Guide to North American Birds, Part II says, for both species of scaup:
Juv female (Jun-Oct) have olive or brownish irides
Juv-HY/SY female (Oct-Sep) "iris brown, becoming olive brown by Jan-May"
AHY/ASY female (Oct-Sep) "iris yellowish brown (SY/TYs?) to moderately bright yellow"

It looks like it the eyes might not become fully yellow until the third calendar year.
(HY-hatching year; SY-second year; A-after; TYs-third years)

Pyle's Identification Guide to North American Birds, Part II says, for both species of scaup:
Juv female (Jun-Oct) have olive or brownish irides
Juv-HY/SY female (Oct-Sep) "iris brown, becoming olive brown by Jan-May"
AHY/ASY female (Oct-Sep) "iris yellowish brown (SY/TYs?) to moderately bright yellow"

It looks like it the eyes might not become fully yellow until the third calendar year.
(HY-hatching year; SY-second year; A-after; TYs-third years)

Cheers for that :t: I had wondered before as it seemed Greater Scaup advanced in iris colour more quickly than Lesser, but perhaps I don't see quite enough Greaters even to be fully aware of variation in late 2cy. Certainly I've see young males in November of their 2cy with bright yellow iris though

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back