• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi, and here is my dilemma 😁 (1 Viewer)

Rickyd

Hi everyone, newbie to the forum here. I'm looking for a new pair of full size binoculars. I currently have the Leica ultravid 10x25 compact binos, which I think are excellent, so it brings me to upgrade my full sized ones.
I have narrowed it down to three.... and I'm sure that these will have been compared by people before hence why I'm asking the question, of which one to buy.
1. Leica noctivid 10x42
2. Swarovski el 10x42
3. Zeiss victory sf 10x42

Hi Rick and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Binocular forum, where I think you're more likely to get the help you need. I also subscribed you to the thread so you'll get notified of any replies.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Hi Rick.
Welcome.

If you narrowed it down to three it might be best to try these against each other and choose the one you like best.
Take your time testing.

If you do choose, then buy the one tested, as even at this high level there is sample variation.

Welcome to BirdForum Ricky. Binastro is right, given the premium price your best bet is to actually try them in person. At this level and trying inside a store you're unlikely to see major differences, but see which one feels more comfortable to use, which one is more focused etc. You're also likely to get fans of all 3 here; if I could choose I'd probably go with the Zeiss because of its field of view. Cheers!

Those are three of the best 10x42's made. If you can try them and compare that would be best because at this level they are all good but there might be some small differences that would make you choose one over the other like eye relief or the way the eye cups feel to you. The optics on all three are going to be sensational. It is hard to go in a store and find those three binoculars though. I would agree with Common Raven and go with the Zeiss SF if you can't try them all for it's big FOV and nice rearward balance and smooth focus. I have tried the Zeiss 10x42 SF and it is a great binocular. Try and find the older grey model because they are less expensive than the newer black model. I have a posted a link to a Demo Zeiss 10x42 SF at Eagle Optics and a comparison review of the Zeiss SF 10x42 to the Swarovski SV 10x42 and a comparison review of the Zeiss SF 10x42, Swarovski SV 10x42 and Leica Noctivid 10x42.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/products/zeiss-victory-sf-10x42-binocular
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=301412
http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2017_titans_revisited/review.html

Last edited:
Hello Ricky,

As all three are fine binoculars, trying them out will help you decide. At that level, ergonomics and personal preferences should rule. When I write personal preferences, I mean field of view and your preferences in colour, and in contrast. Some bird watchers swear by "sharp to the edge optics," while others seek the greatest sharpness, resolution and contrast at the center. Only you can decide about such qualities.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hi everyone, newbie to the forum here. I'm looking for a new pair of full size binoculars. I currently have the Leica ultravid 10x25 compact binos, which I think are excellent, so it brings me to upgrade my full sized ones.
I have narrowed it down to three.... and I'm sure that these will have been compared by people before hence why I'm asking the question, of which one to buy.
1. Leica noctivid 10x42
2. Swarovski el 10x42
3. Zeiss victory sf 10x42

Hi Ricky:

If you have narrowed it down to those three, you DO NOT HAVE a dilemma except having oversized pockets. The choice will come down to personal preference as most of those who might suggest a true winner for you will lack the perception to offer much more than THEIR ... personal preference. :cat:

Bill

PS Welcome.

How is the quality control with the Zeiss SF going? Is the black model improved? It's a binocular I want to like, but approach with great caution.

Denco mentions a 'refurbished' SF is up for sale....but, why does an alpha glass need to be refurbished after a year or two?....I'd run a mile from those deals. I have other alpha glass which doesn't require 'refurbishing' after 50yrs of use. What's going on?

How is the quality control with the Zeiss SF going? Is the black model improved? It's a binocular I want to like, but approach with great caution.

Denco mentions a 'refurbished' SF is up for sale....but, why does an alpha glass need to be refurbished after a year or two?....I'd run a mile from those deals. I have other alpha glass which doesn't require 'refurbishing' after 50yrs of use. What's going on?
I am sorry that was a Demo at Eagle Optics NOT refurbished. Usually Demo's are like new in my experience. Hmmm. That is actually a pretty good buy for a Zeiss 10x42 SF from a solid vendor. Tempting. That is a nice binocular.

Last edited:
I am sorry that was a Demo at Eagle Optics NOT refurbished. Usually Demo's are like new in my experience. Hmmm. That is actually a pretty good buy for a Zeiss 10x42 SF from a solid vendor. Tempting. That is a nice binocular.

Ahh ok, sure thing, a demo in perfect condition can be great. Also, it's very unlikely anybody would use a lemon as a demo.

why does an alpha glass need to be refurbished after a year or two?....I'd run a mile from those deals. I have other alpha glass which doesn't require 'refurbishing' after 50yrs of use. What's going on?

Alphas do not need to be refurbed after a year or two. Unless of course there is something wrong with it. No mechanical system is immune to breakdown -- and certainly alpha binos are not immune to mechanical breakdown. Individual examples that are returned to the manufacturer for reasons such as mechanical failure, or used as demos in trade shows and the like are returned to almost new condition and then resold. The fact that any manufacturer repairs their items and re-inserts them into the retail field is nothing new, and this type of action tells nothing about the current level of construction of the alpha brands.

Alphas do not need to be refurbed after a year or two. Unless of course there is something wrong with it. No mechanical system is immune to breakdown -- and certainly alpha binos are not immune to mechanical breakdown. Individual examples that are returned to the manufacturer for reasons such as mechanical failure, or used as demos in trade shows and the like are returned to almost new condition and then resold. The fact that any manufacturer repairs their items and re-inserts them into the retail field is nothing new, and this type of action tells nothing about the current level of construction of the alpha brands.
You missed my correction in Post#9. They were actually Demo's. My error.:king:

Last edited:

Just my choice - but there is no way I will be purchasing any 'factory second attempt'. I'm seeing more creep up on eBay. Other consumers will think and do as they please, and good for them :t:

A demo is fine by me.

Definitely try them in the hand and eye. Plus I would suggest trying a few "lesser" brands in the same spec. You will get 95% or more of the performance for half or even a third of the price. My arsenal of binoculars (I'm a birder not a collector!), includes a full size 8x for general use, a 7x for those dull days, a stick it in your pocket compact, some Papillos for the bugs and flowers and a "disposable" pair that I take canoeing. They give me great views in a wide range of conditions and circumstances and together cost less than one pair of top of the range.

I'm not for a moment suggesting one strategy is better than another but just something to consider.

The manufacturers determine whether or not to fix the binoculars returned to them for repairs under warranty or alternatively give the owner a new binocular to replace it. Refurbed binoculars come from the ones that were replaced. It is an economic decision on their part.

Hi rickyd,

To complicate things, I would add the Zeiss Victory HT 10x42 as another serious option....!

Good Luck!

PHA

Definitely try them in the hand and eye. Plus I would suggest trying a few "lesser" brands in the same spec. You will get 95% or more of the performance for half or even a third of the price. My arsenal of binoculars (I'm a birder not a collector!), includes a full size 8x for general use, a 7x for those dull days, a stick it in your pocket compact, some Papillos for the bugs and flowers and a "disposable" pair that I take canoeing. They give me great views in a wide range of conditions and circumstances and together cost less than one pair of top of the range.

I'm not for a moment suggesting one strategy is better than another but just something to consider.
Your strategy is the same as mine Mono. I have an 8x42 for general use and a 10x42 for more detail and distant hawks and raptors and an 8x32 for a compact carry travel binocular. The total cost is less than one alpha but I would never tell somebody not to get an alpha because they are great binoculars and usually have great warranties to back them up.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back