• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GS52 - opinions wanted (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Hi all,

I'd be really pleased to hear from any owners with their views on this scope.

I'm looking for a lightweight companion to my ES80 ED. I have the SDL zoom on that scope. I'm very interested in a GS52, mainly due to the compatibility of the lenses.

Thanks!

Hi Dave,

I tried this one out at a shop in the summer last year and was very impressed. I tried it with a fixed mag eyepiece. I forget the exact mag but it was twenty something times. May be 23, 25 or 28x.

I used to own the GS665 Ed which I really liked but I upgraded to the ES80 ED (after briefly owning Nikon ED82 first and not liking it).

It was a bright day when I tried the GS52 so I can't vouch for it's abilities in low light levels but its image was bright and sharp then.

If I wanted a travel scope, I would definitely buy a GS52. I think that in most conditions it would be perfectly usable. You'd probably only miss the ES80 when light was low.

As we both already have Opticron e/ps, it totally makes sense to buy a GS52 rather than one of the other brands of small scopes. Having said that though, I find that fixed mag e/ps perform better than zooms when light is low so maybe the zoom you already have wouldn't be ideal with the GS52s smaller objective. I'm making assumptions here though.

From my limited time with it, I would recommend it but I would definitely try it out on a darker day before parting with my cash. Always best to try before you buy. Can you do that in Dubai? Is it always sunny there? In which case the small objective may be fine.

Good luck
Martin

Thanks a lot Martin, that's really helpful.

I'll be back in Glasgow shortly so I should be able to try out the GS52. Your advice re the fixed e/p has now made me think about getting a new one which would do both the scopes. My wife will be thrilled!

Dave

Hi Dave,

We own a GS 80 ED and have just purchased the GS52 ED for the same reason as you, to have a lightweight scope to carry around. Bought it Saturday and tried it out Sunday. We are very impressed. We opted for the 12-36x zoom, which seems to be the majority of the package deals for the unit. The quality of the image is excellent, with high brightness except at the very end of the zoom range. The focus adjustment is very good with the addition of the fine focus ring. This comes into its own when viewing at distance as it allows you to fine focus really well. The only fault so far is that the stay on rubber lens cover does not stay on very well, which may be just our unit. We doubt that you will be dissapointed.

Hi Dave,

The only fault so far is that the stay on rubber lens cover does not stay on very well, which may be just our unit. We doubt that you will be dissapointed.

I believe that those very helpful folks at Opticron now have solution for this. I suggest that you give them a ring their office in Luton

Tel: 01582 726 522

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back