• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HR 80 GA ED - anyone using one? (1 Viewer)

soupdragon10

Just wondering if anyone is using the HR 80 GA ED scope?
Any words of wisdom as I'm hoping to buy one in the next month or so?
Eyepiece choices? For "normal" viewing and digiscoping?

Last edited:
soupdragon10,

For normal use you cannot better the 40935 SDL eyepiece. This e/p was designed for use with ED scopes and gives you a 24-72 x mag on the HR 80 GA ED. I know that some folks on here disagree and prefer the 40862 HDF eyepiece, but the SDL in my opinion is both brighter and sharper particularly at the higher magnifications. Others have expressed a dislike of the eye relif afforded by the SDL but I have not experienced any problems either wearing spec or without.

As for digiscoping then the 40810 HDF eyepiece which is a fixed 27x mag when used with the HR 80 GA ED. This eyepiece again in my opinion is the best fixed mag eyepiece in the Opticron range and is perfect for digiscoping as it produces the least vignetting when used in conjunction with the Opticron digiscoping kits that are available.

Good Luck

Chris Galvin

Thanks very much Chris - pretty much the same conclusion I had come to after reading up on the optics....nice to know I actually got the right end of the stick for once ;-)

Good to hear that the SDL is ok for us optically challenged spec wearers - I did have a concern that the eye relief may have not been enough.

Hi,

I use a ES80GA ED with the 20-60 HDF eyepiece and have found it very good for digiscoping. I recently wrote to Opticron to ask them what was the best eyepiece to use for Digiscoping with the ES80GA ED and they said the 40810 HDF T 23xWW which I guess equates to the 27xWW when used on the HR80GA ED.

soupdragon10,

For normal use you cannot better the 40935 SDL eyepiece. This e/p was designed for use with ED scopes and gives you a 24-72 x mag on the HR 80 GA ED. I know that some folks on here disagree and prefer the 40862 HDF eyepiece, but the SDL in my opinion is both brighter and sharper particularly at the higher magnifications. Others have expressed a dislike of the eye relif afforded by the SDL but I have not experienced any problems either wearing spec or without.

As for digiscoping then the 40810 HDF eyepiece which is a fixed 27x mag when used with the HR 80 GA ED. This eyepiece again in my opinion is the best fixed mag eyepiece in the Opticron range and is perfect for digiscoping as it produces the least vignetting when used in conjunction with the Opticron digiscoping kits that are available.

Good Luck

Chris Galvin

I agree 100% - But, I would say that different scopes suit different people. Optically as well as size and weight.

This is a great scope for me, but I'm now finding a bit large to stick on the back of the motorbike... the other thing I would recommend is a tripod mule pack from cley spy optics, makes transporting it a doddle. :t:

mule_0039.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back