• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tristar 7x50 ? (1 Viewer)

Bencw

I took a punt on this, only £20, just wondering if anyone knows it or where its made?
TRISTAR, with 3 shooting stars logo, looks like "poves yous view" written under that. Well made, metal construction,very bright, fully coated, not quite as sharp as the Mil Spec 7x50 I recently posted, but decent and light for a 7x50. Collimation is by small screws in the top of the body, it has no eccentric rings and looks like the objectives may even be sealed. It has a reticule with a gradient scale under it in the right eyepiece, but it's clearly not military. My guess Chinese, but cant find anything on the web myself other than an astrology convention named tristar some time ago.

Attachments

• TRISTAR 7X50..JPG
    TRISTAR 7X50..JPG
    84 KB · Views: 62
  • TRISTAR 7X50...JPG
    TRISTAR 7X50...JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 47
  • TRISTAR 7X50....JPG
    TRISTAR 7X50....JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 37
  • TRISTAR 7X50-RIGHT.JPG
    TRISTAR 7X50-RIGHT.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 62
  • TRISTAR 7X50-LEFT.JPG
    TRISTAR 7X50-LEFT.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 55
Hi Ben.
It looks like a modern Chinese made binocular.
Power is probably meant by someone not familiar with english.

The 56 to 72 may be a copy of French binocular markings?

The Chinese put anything on binoculars, as do many other countries. Name has no relevance to anything.

Lockheed Tristar is a heavy 3 engined passenger aircraft, also used by the RAF for refuelling and troop transport. It is able to do both jobs.
Medium to long haul.
It could I think refuel 3 aircraft at once.
Not sure if still in service. (RAF version retired 2014?, but I used to see them often).

Similar to DC10.

Last edited:
Binastro, Stephen,

Thanks, that was well found Stephen, I couldnt find anything, and thanks for the links, I thought probably Chinese, I dont really get why they thought a reticule was needed in this binocular, I guess as well as putting anything on them, they are likely to put anything in them.
Thanks again.

Binastro, Stephen,

Thanks, that was well found Stephen, I couldnt find anything, and thanks for the links, I thought probably Chinese, I dont really get why they thought a reticule was needed in this binocular, I guess as well as putting anything on them, they are likely to put anything in them.
Thanks again.

Hello,

As the binocular is a 7x50 individual focus, the manufacturer might have thought that the market was for marine use, where a reticule may be useful. A reticule might also suit hikers, but 7x50 is a bit large for those users.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :h:

I thought that Tristar or the three stars might refer to the summer triangle of 3 bright stars.

But no.

Bizarrely, Tristar or 3 stars is the Chinese constellation Shen Xiu, western Orion.
This is a constellation of 7 stars including the belt stars and the 4 at the top and bottom of the rectangle, including variable Betelgeuse and Rigel.

These are visible in both northern and southern hemispheres. It straddles the celestial equator.

I suppose the 3 stars of Shen may refer to the belt stars.
This is also probably depicted in the positions of the 3 great pyramids in Egypt?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back