• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The pros and cons of Gin Traps! (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

http://www.leightonbuzzardonline.co.uk/news/Cat-horrifically-injured-in-ironjawed.5201638.jp

I hope I put this thread in the right place.

I watched this in my local news tonight. I felt so cross about a poor defenceless animal, a cat, in this case caught in a Gin Trap

This is so dispicable thing to happen to this poor cat. Its leg got trapped, and it made its way back home once more with the trap still attached to its leg. It must have been in so much pain too. :C

I think Gin Traps should be banned all together. They are lethal, and for what reason they are used, I will never know. We do not need them on this planet anymore.

They do need banned from use all together :C

Last edited:
I think Gin Traps should be banned all together.

Maybe read the article you linked to? ;)

For over 50 years, they have been illegal - hefty fines can be imposed on anyone setting them, regardless of whether anything is caught. Enforcement is, however, a different matter - it is very difficult to catch the persons respnsible for setting these traps.

Last edited:
Maybe read the article you linked to? ;)

For over 50 years, they have been illegal - hefty fines can be imposed on anyone setting them, regardless of whether anything is caught. Enforcement is, however, a different matter - it is very difficult to catch the persons respnsible for setting these traps.

Hi Jos

Thank you for your answer, and keeping me straight here. Need that sometimes as we all do. I was plan tired tonight too.

Please excuse me, I am a bit confused why, and how these traps are still around at all. I was not sure of their status at all. Only listened to the 'skimpy' news article. The links has more explanitory history attached. I have further information explained here:

Gin traps are illegal and if you set them you are breaking the law, whether they catch anything or not."

Anyone found guilty of setting a gin trap that causes unnecessary suffering to an animal faces a maximum £20,000 fine and/or six months in prison.

I see that there have been other cases of a similar trapping occuring (3 or more in all, not all animals died thank goodness - but where mained instead - lost limbs) in the same area of Norfolk/Bedford alone. I looked upon the website to find out the information.

As you say, how can you catch morons who hurt animals as they do and set the trap in such as way it could cost a domestic animal a leg or worst (a rare type of cat in this case) or a childs foots makes me squirm.

What are the chances of catching these people at all?

Last edited:
Please excuse me, I am a bit confused why, and how these traps are still around at all.

It is not illegal to own them, just use them ...a bit weird, but it does allow the legitimate pastime of collecting them as historical objects. Due to this legitimate 'use' of them, I believe the law also permits the buying and selling of them, but not if you 'knowingly' sell them to persons who intend to set them as traps. This obviously allows a certain trade of these things to go on and makes it all the harder to stamp out illegal activities.

What are the chances of catching these people at all?

In this case, I have no idea, but in general, moderately small.

It is not illegal to own them, just use them ...a bit weird, but it does allow the legitimate pastime of collecting them as historical objects. Due to this legitimate 'use' of them, I believe the law also permits the buying and selling of them, but not if you 'knowingly' sell them to persons who intend to set them as traps. This obviously allows a certain trade of these things to go on and makes it all the harder to stamp out illegal activities.

In this case, I have no idea, but in general, moderately small.

Hi Jos

I understand what you mean about the principles behind them. I can also understand people collecting them as historical interests go (though they are a gory for a collectors item - or whatever floats your boat comes to mind with some people).

Maybe it will get to the point that they need to have a serial number or similar (like a gun) so the weapons history can be traced/found. Owners who pass on 'traps' as an interest need to be sure that they are selling them to the right people and having the traps Hallmarked in some way maybe a good thing to do. just my own thoughts.

Not as easy as it may seen though ;)

I have to admit there is not too many 'incidents' mentioned in the media about people who are caught with these illegal traps at all.

People like Simon Cowell from Wildlife SOS have plenty to say about them when he has to 'remove' an animal which has been caught, and try to save its life.
It is heart wrenching to watch any animal suffer.

Last edited:
It would be fairly easy argument to make that historic interest does not warrent new traps, and therefore, it should be illegal to sell new ones. Would sooner or later make it mighty difficult to get a hand on one to use for illegal trapping.

Niels

On a relate topic France has permitted the use of Stone Crush traps called tendelles previously banned for 100yrs. These consist of a limestone slab baited with juniper berries and held up by twigs and slivers of wood. The intended thrush target dislodges the twigs etc and are crushed. In theory the slabs have a cravity to protect smaller birds. In reality Alpine Accentor and other species protected by EU Birds Directive are killed.

Nobody makes or sells new gin traps, but there are thousands still around hanging up in people's sheds or, as t'other Mike says, on country pub walls.

Mike

But don't confuse them with the perfectly legal, much more powerful and highly effective (when used correctly) Fenn trap.

Mike

Attachments

• fenn.jpg
    fenn.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 228
  • fenn2.jpg
    fenn2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 200
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back