• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this..??..Texas Garter Snake..??....SASP Tx North Unit (1 Viewer)

I did not see this snake....!!

Yesterday in SASP North Unit Tx.

It's been really hot, the Concho is not flowing, most of the pools have dried up. I haven't been on the trails for a couple weeks, maybe longer. A front moved in two days ago; a little rain, a little cooler, didn't break 90, it's been in the 100s for weeks.

I had to hike 4 miles to the nice pools; lined with Mesquite, Pecan, and Live Oak. It was worth it, lots of early migrants and some regulars.

I was chasing a small mixed flock, snapping photos, looking mostly for warblers and flycatchers. I heard Titmouse(s) but didn't pay it much mind. Snapped a quick shot and moved on.

Last night I opened the file, this is what I got......a Texas Rat Snake..!!

You can see a Bewick's Wren (previously mis-ID'd as a Titmouse) to the left of it's head, just off the trunk on a branch. A Ladder-backed Woodpecker is off to the right above it's head on the trunk at the tip of highest/farthest protruding branch with leaves.

I did not see that snake. Pissed me off, I would have enjoyed watching it.

I see a lot snake out there; in the river, along the banks, in wood piles but I rarely get good photos. This shot was a nice surprise.

Attachments

• TRS-1.jpg
    TRS-1.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 81
  • TRS-2.jpg
    TRS-2.jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Today in San Angelo State Park North Unit

For some reason the park has a week off from hunting, 2-9th. Hit the trails this morning at the North Unit 7-A, first time I've been back to that section since August 31st.

Evidence of hunters at the good viewing areas; ear plugs, shotgun shells, and water bottles. Whatever happen to "Don't Mess With Texas"...??...pisses me off.

Caught this snake in the North Concho River. Spooked it at the bank, it jumped in and swam across to the other side.

I have a blurry picture of it's tail, nothing special just a pointy tail.

I did a google search but couldn't seem to find the right pattern for an ID.....I don't know, is it a Rat Snake?

Attachments

• Unkn1.jpg
    Unkn1.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 43
  • Unkn2.jpg
    Unkn2.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Unkn3.jpg
    Unkn3.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 52
This is the third one I've seen, never knew what they were. I had photos of the others but they weren't good enough to post. Looking back, I came across them not long after the rains, when the river pools were high. I guess I know when to expect them next time.

Thank you sir.

Welcome. Good pics helped nail this one down - particularly the 3rd one where the blotches on the side are very visible.

Yesterday in the park, came across these two Ribbon Snakes eyeing each other in a mud pool on the bank of the North Concho River.

Attachments

• RS-1.jpg
    RS-1.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 26
  • RS-2.jpg
    RS-2.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 31
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back