• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sketches from Andrew Ellis (1 Viewer)

Andrew Ellis

Hi everyone , somewhat embarrassed by my lack of posting so i will endeavour to put this right and start a new thread . My old ones are so..... old that they wouldn't let me re-start them. Anyhow here goes, These are from a day trip I had out with a friend on Exminster Marshes. We went there especially to look for Hobbies , but to be honest i was just glad to be out birding again! The Full account can be found on my Blog.

Enjoy Andy

Attachments

• Exminster-Marshes-May001.jpg
    Exminster-Marshes-May001.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Exminster-Marshes-May002.jpg
    Exminster-Marshes-May002.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Exminster-Marshes-May003.jpg
    Exminster-Marshes-May003.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 175
  • Exminster-Marshes-May004.jpg
    Exminster-Marshes-May004.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 170
  • Exminster-Marshes-May005.jpg
    Exminster-Marshes-May005.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 157
here are some more

Attachments

• Exminster-Marshes-May006.jpg
    Exminster-Marshes-May006.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 196
  • Exminster-Marshes-May007.jpg
    Exminster-Marshes-May007.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 92
Hi everyone , somewhat embarrassed by my lack of posting so i will endeavour to put this right and start a new thread . My old ones are so..... old that they wouldn't let me re-start them. Anyhow here goes, These are from a day trip I had out with a friend on Exminster Marshes. We went there especially to look for Hobbies , but to be honest i was just glad to be out birding again! The Full account can be found on my Blog.

Enjoy Andy

what a treat- just been enjoying that stalling bird with legs out, at bottom of the Hobby pic 4- fantastic

absolutely stunning work andy,i too loved the images on page 4,the shapes and angles youve captured here are so dynamic and the page of warblers is just wonderful.just fantastic fieldwork of the highest order!

Cor! (that's an exclaimation not seen every day) - what an absolutely satiating feast for the eyes, mate!!! Besides the incredible level of skill in the drafting department, there's the delight and wonderment of gazing on images which are made by a guy who is absolutely in tune with his birds - knowledge, insight, talent and creativity . . . all that's lacking is MORE REGULAR POSTS!!!
Great to see you back Andy - keep the thrill levels up.

Oh boyB :).....no way could i not comment on these superb sketches..!!!

As a self confessed hobby fanatic...all i can say is 'wow'...absolutely brilliant...!!

ps...love that little cetti's sketch too...really wacky...!

pps...please post a lot more stuff....:t:

ppps...especially hobbies...;)...

Cor! (that's an exclaimation not seen every day) - what an absolutely satiating feast for the eyes, mate!!! Besides the incredible level of skill in the drafting department, there's the delight and wonderment of gazing on images which are made by a guy who is absolutely in tune with his birds - knowledge, insight, talent and creativity . . . all that's lacking is MORE REGULAR POSTS!!!
Great to see you back Andy - keep the thrill levels up.

Tim says it eloquently as usual. I'd just add that I didn't expect to find anything I liked more than the flight sketches. Then I saw the warblers!

Andrew,

I am in shock over these!

That's "off-road!" sketching at its very best!

OMG! You have a certain brilliance in your work don't you?!

I LOVE it to bits!

Where the Hobby snips off the D.Fly wings??? Crikey!

All of this is BRILLIANCE!

I am IN AWE!!!! You are a veritable genius!

Absolutely a Master of your Game! Fan-bloody-Tastic!

Please KEEP POSTING YOUR AMAZING PIECES!!!!!!

Last edited:
I can't stop looking at those hobby sketches and marveling at the way you've caught them so superbly....[i want those sketches on my wall]....!!!!

Man they are good......:t::t::t:

Gobsmacking as always! The twisty turny nature of the hobbies right there on the paper in front of us. Tim's right; Post more!

Mike

Thanks Guy's for your wonderful comments . Just what i needed to encourage me back into the field. Mike, thanks for the comment on the blog , Have linked to yours by the way can't understand why I haven't until now. Congrats on your award!!:t:

Andy,
This is the first time Ive seen any of your work, and I'm blown away by it, particularly the way you've caught the flight postures. These are some of the best I've had the pleasure to see; awesome!
I'll check out your blog, now!

Russ

Thought I'd share with you some of the sketches that I put sporadically through my Diaries of flying my Falcons. Some do show a falconry situation so bare with me on that. But For me its all about what I see when I am out in the field, Flying.

Attachments

• wildmerlin-at-southdown004.jpg
    wildmerlin-at-southdown004.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Stone-Chat007.jpg
    Stone-Chat007.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Spar017.jpg
    Spar017.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Raven-studies-006.jpg
    Raven-studies-006.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Pair-of-partridge027.jpg
    Pair-of-partridge027.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 111
fantastic stuff andrew...I mostly see your work on the falconry forum, so its nice to have you here , please keep posting, I will be down in your neck of the woods tomorrow, hope-fully a week of good birding...mark...

and some more

Attachments

• Megan-second-season025.jpg
    Megan-second-season025.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Megan-second-season030.jpg
    Megan-second-season030.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Megan-second-season022.jpg
    Megan-second-season022.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 146
  • Lapwings011.jpg
    Lapwings011.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 135
Hi Andy,
Your superbly rendered flight sketches are really inspirational. As I'm a relative newcomer to bird art I've bothered everyone one here re materials and techniques etc. Are you using a particular pencil and paper? Also are the flight sketches made using bins, scope or both? I assume its taken years of practice to achieve this level of drawing, but would you know if the technique of blinking and 'burning' the image of the bird on the retina is of any use for nailing flying birds? I guess it's pure observation otherwise.

Apologies for the interrogation, but this is fantastic stuff.

Cheers

Russ

each and every one of these images is superb andy but with the flight sketchs the observation and your obvious knowledge shine through!.a real joy to look at!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back