• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 65mm for astronomy (1 Viewer)

DHB

Anyone use the Zeiss adapters for the 1.25 astro type eyepieces? I am interested in more than 45x for astronomy.
Thanks again for your help...
Dave

DHB said:
Anyone use the Zeiss adapters for the 1.25 astro type eyepieces? I am interested in more than 45x for astronomy.
Thanks again for your help...
Dave

Hi Dave,

I didn´t try the adapter by myself. There was an interesting article about that in a German astro magazine. They said that the adapter is working well but one have to check if the astro ep fits into the scope´s body. Eps with long "push-on contacts" (is this the right word?) may failed to fit. I also asked Zeiss last year about that and they told me which eps they did take to test the fitting with their adapter. Unfortunatly I actually don´t remember which eps they used (2 or 3 different ones). If this is important for you I could try to find out the names of these eps.

There is also a German astro dealer (Baader Planetarium) who provides 2 special eps for Zeiss Diascope bajonett with no need of using a adapter. With the 85 Diascope these eps have magnification 140x and 20x (wide field). With your 65 Diascope (focal length 384 mm) the 140x should be a magnification of about 107x for example.

Regards
Steve

Thanks Steve.
I wonder what the cost is in usd of the 140x (107x) ? And can I order something like this in the US.
BTW- I received my 65mm Zeiss yesterday and it is like new, the eyepiece I believe was new the Zeiss tape had not been touched. For the money I am totally happy.
Dave

DHB said:
Thanks Steve.
I wonder what the cost is in usd of the 140x (107x) ? And can I order something like this in the US.
BTW- I received my 65mm Zeiss yesterday and it is like new, the eyepiece I believe was new the Zeiss tape had not been touched. For the money I am totally happy.
Dave

Dave,

take a look down on this site:

http://www.baader-planetarium.de/neue_produkte/zeiss/diascope-start.htm

I have to correct myself. With the 65 Diascope the magnification is 100x. The price of the ep "Symmetric Diascope Okular f=3,6mm" is 90 Euro.

The Baader site isn´t yet available in English: http://www.baader-planetarium.com/

But they certainly answer to all of your questions if you contacting them via e-mail: [email protected]

Regards

Steve

p.s. This ep is interesting for me too because they seem to reduced the price now. I´ve just phoned them but they are on holiday until 3rd of september. I want to order this ep and hope to be able to tell you more in the next weeks.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve

I sent them an email. I am very interested. I don't know how well it will work since it will have a very - very small exit pupil. Let me know. I am going to keep looking though.
Dave

100x eyepiece from Baader in Germany for Zeiss Diascope

Steve,
Have you any experience with Baader? I think for about $100usd I might order one if you think 100x on a 65mm scope is feasible.
ANY THOUGHTS ANYONE.
Dave

DHB said:
Steve,
Have you any experience with Baader? I think for about $100usd I might order one if you think 100x on a 65mm scope is feasible.
ANY THOUGHTS ANYONE.
Dave

Baader is a well reputabled company of astro accessoires in Germany. I use their AstroSolar safety film for observations of the sun with my 85 Diascope. But I don´t have any experiences with eyepieces of Baader and after searching the internet without success I assume nobody has ever report about these special ep for Zeiss Diascope - not in Germany either. For astro observations small exit pupils are quite normal so I don´t have much reservations with this. In daylight use I don´t expect that much of this ep. I want to order this ep too because my interest of astronomy is as much as it is for birding. So I can give you and the forum more information when I´ll get this.

Steve

"I might order one if you think 100x on a 65mm scope is feasible.
ANY THOUGHTS ANYONE."

I would think that you would be really pushing a 65 mm spotting scope at 100X. It is not difficult to obtain a good astro image at 100x for example on a 65 mm high quality astro refractor scope--even one with a short focal length.

Spotting scopes are hampered by their short focal lengths which require much higher quality optics and also by erecting prisims. It is just more difficult to acheive a high quality image.

Hi Dave,

although a bit too early to make final conclusions about that Baader eyepiece mentioned above I tell you my first impressions because I can imagine that you awaiting for this.
The ep is very little and light comparing to Zeiss`own eps. I fits perfectly into the scope´s bajonett. After that one needs to focuss very attentive. When you first look through you notice the very narrow field of view. Eye relief is poor. It´s impossible to use it with eye glasses. You need to get very close to it until eyelashes touching the ep to view the whole image.
I´ve got many troubles to find aims at the night sky because fov at 140x is so narrow. I tried to watch an object with the Zeiss zoom first and change to the 3,6 Baader ep but this didn´t work. The Zeiss zoom fits so tight in the bajonett that one always need strong power to remove it. This causes lost of the right direction the scope was aiming to. Nevertheless stars are of pinpoint appearance with no astigmatisms. I was able to locate some well known stars like Arctur, Vega and so on. I also found M57 ring nebula where I noticed an image that was quite pale.
In daylight use the Zeiss scope showed again that it´s able to manage the 140x magnification. Under bright light conditions, dry air and absence of heat movings of the air I saw with surprise that 140x can work.
I have to make some more tryings with this ep. For astronomical use a scope with 140x magnification need another mount than with a simple photo tripod. With your 65 Diascope the difficulties might be not that serious than mine using it with my 85 scope. I´m not sure if I can recommend the Baader ep at this time. So far I need some more experiences with it.

Greetings

Steve

Thanks Steve. I almost ordered one but with my limited experience it could be a mistake. I think I shall wait and see. Post any future experiences.
Dave

Im mainly an Astronomy observer and would like to know how this new Zeiss scope compares to telescopes like the TeleVue 85?
I would be surprised if the Diascope was as versatile as the legendary TV 85.
Birders would be very well advised to take a look at the NEW TV 60,this is a 60mm APO.
Steve.

Steve Napier said:
Im mainly an Astronomy observer and would like to know how this new Zeiss scope compares to telescopes like the TeleVue 85?
I would be surprised if the Diascope was as versatile as the legendary TV 85.
Birders would be very well advised to take a look at the NEW TV 60,this is a 60mm APO.
Steve.

If an eyepiece has a barrel that is quite long, like some of the TV Radians, you can put a rubber "O" ring or two on the barrel to prevent the eyepiece from going too deep into the Zeiss adapter.

I don't think the Zeiss spotting scope would accept 2" eyepieces like the TV-85 will. The TV-85 is, I think, quite a bit heavier than the Zeiss spotting scope.

Takahashi has been selling their FS102 (102mm f/8.1 fluorite doublet) for about $2k USD. The FS102s I've looked through gave very sharp, high contrast images. I have one of the older Tak. FC-100 (100mm f/8 fluorite doublets). The FS-102 isn't the type of telescope I would carry around in the woods but it is certainly protable from the point of view of amateur astronomical telescopes.

It looks as if the sale on the FS-102 has continued with the new FS-102II (has a sliding dew shield). Are importers in Europe having a similar sale on Takahashi OTA?

http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=1543&m=35

Rich

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back