• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightweight tripod for Nikon ED50 (1 Viewer)

MacGee

I bought a Nikon ED50 angled scope with 27xW eyepiece and then discovered that my ancient Slik 35S tripod was no longer functioning (the tilt mechanism seems to have seized up). Initial, very cursory, research has led me to two 1kg (35oz) tripods: the Slik Video Sprint, at about £50, and the Velbon Pro CF435 with PH157Q head, at about £100. Any comments on these or suggestions for alternatives? I don't want to go over £100 or 1kg.

Michael

Slik Video Sprint is excellent as long as you don't have it at full height in wind. My ED50 came with a free one!!

I've got my ED50 paired with the Velbon Sherpa 600R (removable column for hide clamp, which I also bought) and it has the PH-157Q head. Purchased from Camera King in September £69.95 and 39.95 respectively. I love the whole Kit!! The Velbon felt more stable than other lightweight tripods I had tried and seems well made and smooth to use. Might be a bit heavier than you want but worth a look. I have mobility, neck & shoulder problems and I manage it pretty well. Incidentally I see Amazon have got it priced £55 at the mo!

Last edited:
I bought a Nikon ED50 angled scope with 27xW eyepiece and then discovered that my ancient Slik 35S tripod was no longer functioning (the tilt mechanism seems to have seized up). Initial, very cursory, research has led me to two 1kg (35oz) tripods: the Slik Video Sprint, at about £50, and the Velbon Pro CF435 with PH157Q head, at about £100. Any comments on these or suggestions for alternatives? I don't want to go over £100 or 1kg.

I also got a Video Sprint 'thrown in' with my ED50, but have never used it in the field. I know others claim to use them in the field, but personally I think it isn't much better than a toy, let down mainly by its cheap plastic head. To be fair the legs aren't too bad, but don't open wide enough to be properly stable and are way too flimsy to use in the field at full height. If you can find a better head for it it would be a 100% improvement IMHO, but you would need to use it sitting down or kneeling most of the time.

For not that much more money I bet the Velbon CF 435 is miles better, and with a free head thrown in at that price a real bargain. The slightly bigger and heavier 535 models are very stable and get good reviews for only a little over £100. At the price you mention I presume you're looking at Bristol Cameras?

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/index.php/cPath/velbon-tripods/page/2

Be careful that you don't fall into the trap of getting something so small and light that you never use it (like me). A 'proper' tripod will serve you far better in the long run, unless you really need it that small for travel/hiking.

As an aside, Slik also do several other versions of the Video Sprint. I have the Sprint Mini GM/SL which has variable leg angles, splittable centre column and a small ball head which is replaceable. It is very small (about 30cm long folded, but extends to 110cm), weighs about 700g and is basically the same as the Video Sprint in general construction, only better! There is also a larger version (Slik Sprint Pro GM) about the same size as the Video Sprint, but costs a little more (mine was £35). These models are all available from Bristol Cameras as well as several other similar ones.

If you're still set on the Video Sprint (and I haven't put you off already) mine is available for £20+postage. PM me if you're interested.

Steve.

Last edited:
Thanks Den, Amelia and Steve. I've now managed to get my old tripod working again. It weighs 1.5kg, but seems fairly solid with a decent quality head (and is free), so I'm going to give it a try. If it doesn't work out, I'll probably go for the Velbon Pro CF435/PH157Q. (Thanks for your offer, Steve, but your post was too persuasive.)

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back