• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seemingly the bird of the moment.. (1 Viewer)

birdboybowley

Well-known member.....apparently so ;)
England
Hey all

Seems the whole country's going wallcreeper crazy at the moment (can't blame anyone for that though!)....so thought i'd post an oldie from me too. Hope you like

Ads
wallcreeper.jpg

Nice painting!! I wish we had those in the US. I have been thoroughly enjoying the wall creeper paintings lately. Thanks for sharing!

Really nice painting of a species I'd love to catch up with. Welcome to the best bit of birdforum, I hope we'll be seeing lots more contributions like this from you.

Mike

A very lovely atmospheric painting - superb light. Really hope to see more of your work - oldies or newies -please.

Thanks for the comments everyone, you're all far too nice!
I'm off to see it tomorrow aswell robinm - too good an opportunity to miss, they are such great birds.
Well here's another, keeping with the mountainous theme...

Ads

alpine accentor (Large).jpg

Beautiful artwork! I hope I'll see you - and the bird - tomorrow.
My wallcreeper was the Dorset bird of 1969/70. I remember what a huge twitch it was with ... ooh ... about 30 birders present! I went back a few weeks later to see it and there were only 2-3 of us. According to Lee Evans' book the bird - which was present Nov-April - was seen by 'over 300' birders,

John

One of those 300 birders was me. I was 11 at the time and went down with my parents on 14 March 1970 to see it from Sussex. We also saw the Franklin's Gull at Farlington the same day (which at the time was a first for Britain) and 3 Shorelarks near Milford-on-Sea so a very special day. I also recall that there were still Cirl Buntings at Farlington at the time!

Excellent stuff, and great to have another contributor to this section. I remember your plover id sheet and your stonechat illustrations from a while back, but this is the first time I've had the privilege to see your "full" pictures, superb. I hope Alpine Accentors are every bit as good as that painting makes me believe! (I already know that Wallcreepers are.)

Thanks Nick...I too remember that awards night with the toffee-nosed git who was up in arms about us 'reprobates' dirtying his establishment - was like get over yourself, you're a doorman...!! Ah, jobsworths, you gotta love 'em!
Blimey, that plover sheet was a long time ago, 10yrs this year I believe! Saw some of your work up at the SWLA last year, which, as always tends to stick out! Trust me, there was some er....varying quality of stuff there! Prices too! I got caught out as I failed to read the bit about the 45% commission and VAT the gallery take...live and learn, live and learn.
And, yep, AA's are that cool...

Managedto miss this here! Wallcreeper is great, that Accentor is really something, the rocks are so good I reckon I could strike a match off my monitor on them!
Great to see another bird artist posting, keep em coming!

Thanks Nick...I too remember that awards night with the toffee-nosed git who was up in arms about us 'reprobates' dirtying his establishment - was like get over yourself, you're a doorman...!! Ah, jobsworths, you gotta love 'em!
Blimey, that plover sheet was a long time ago, 10yrs this year I believe! Saw some of your work up at the SWLA last year, which, as always tends to stick out! Trust me, there was some er....varying quality of stuff there! Prices too! I got caught out as I failed to read the bit about the 45% commission and VAT the gallery take...live and learn, live and learn.
And, yep, AA's are that cool...

Sorry to say I didn't see your Koh Miang Pigeons (just had to check the catalogue), now I'm annoyed with myself for not having spent more time to take in the exhibition, I must have missed so much - any chance of posting a pic up here?
Ah, our good old friends the institute of directors, to be fair I was wearing a hideous lime green t shirt with an orange fleece, still, each time I've been past there I always stop for a fag on their doorstep (I'm tempted to go and ask if I can use their toilet! :-O ).

Here's the picture from the SWLA as asked for Nick..
As for the Institute of Directors, I turned up with a friend wearing cut off jean-shorts and rainbow flip-flops (him, not me!!) Gotta laugh ain't ya?!

Nicobar Pigeons (Large).jpg

Wonder what else I missed??? Stunning stuff, lots of movement and interest. Now why can't I have pigeons like this picking around under my window??

Yeah, they're a bit more visually exciting than the Collareds I get here too...
Everyone had said they can be difficult to find on th island during the day, so having booked a touristy day-snorkelling trip that stopped on the appropriate island I was a bit sceptical...no sign at all on the quiet side, or in the understorey, then found them feeding thru the campsite at people's feet! Absolutely stunning

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back