• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightweight Tripod for Nikon ED50 (1 Viewer)

Hobbes2

I've searched around the site but could not find an 'equipment' specific forum so forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

I'm just about to buy a Nikon ED50 spotting scope and would like to get a tripod to use with it. However, I know nothing about tripods and there doesn't seem to be a lot of easy-to-read stuff out there. I was wondering if someone could offer a recommendation please?

I'd like something as lightweight as possible and as cheap as possible (which is probably a mutually exclusive combination, but you have to try, right?, lol). Any ideas?

Many thanks

cheapest option is to pick a small video tripod from some mail order shop. For the lower power use with the ED 50, they will serve and be light.
If your budget allows, the Velbon Luxi L or M or the slightly smaller Maxi series are decent height and very light, plus they have a convenient leg fold mechanism. The head however is optimized for camera use, with dual locks on two planes, so it is less convenient to use. A light and cheap Velbon PQ 31 or 157 head or the often praised but heavier Manfrotto 128 would be more suitable for birding.
The ED50 is so wonderfully compact and capable that it seems a waste to tie it to a 4 pound kludge that is 18 inches long and 5 inches wide. I'm currently considering using a monopod as a lightweight solution.

Thanks for your helpful reply etudiant. Yes, I agree it does seem like a real shame to bolt something heavy-duty to such a wonderfully lightweight scope. I'm hoping that for most of the time, I'll manage to use it hand-held. However, for those occasions when I'm out with a group or a friend, it's handy to be able to plant the scope, get the bird in view and then allow others to see (hence a tripod rather than monopod). I'd like to get something less than 2lbs (1kg) if possible. The Velbon Maxi M range looks feasible. I'll do some more research now that I have an idea what I'm looking for...thanks again.

I use a Velbon Luxi L with my MM2 as a travel scope setup. It's wonderfully light and the most stable of the ones I tried. The trouble with light weight tripods is that they are not very stable but this was the best of the bunch for stability. The head, as etudiant says, is not too good.......it's all about compromise, I find.

Welcome soon to the Giant Killer Club, one thing i can say is it sounds a good idea to get a light tripod for the little gem of a scope, but too light and it will not be very steady in the wind, if you can, get a carbon fibre tripod, you have then a light, strong, sturdy set up.

lol, yep, I'll be joining the Giant Killer Club - planning to pick up the scope tomorrow. Thanks joannec and Bird Brain for your replies - all experiences/info gratefully received. Not sure I can afford a carbon fibre tripod but I'll keep looking.

I'm wondering too about eventually getting the ED50 set up for digiscoping. Any ideas as to whether I can do that with the angled version (I know the preference is for a straight scope for this type of work normally)?

Thanks again.

Picked up my Nikon ED50 with x13-40 eyepiece and carbon fibre Velbon delta travel tripod yesterday. Chuffed to bits with it. Thanks to everyone who helped with advice. :)

Fantastic m8, welcome to the "GKC" Giant Killers Club, you will be well happy with it, it is a great scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back