• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lenses for wildlife photography (1 Viewer)

I'm looking into investing in the Nikon 300mm F4 AF S lens and Nikon 1.4 teleconverter (I tried them for an afternoon the other week was happy with how the photos came out) or the Nikon 80-400mm VR lens (I'm torn between both lenses).

The lens I use for wildlife photography at the moment is the Nikon 70-300mm VR lens (it'd be nice to have a longer reach for photographing birds and other wildlife) |=)|

Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hi Natasha and welcome to birdforum. I've moved this thread to the Nikon subforum, hopefully someone can come along soon and answer your query.

I'm a Canon user and have no experience with those lenses but I have heard the newer 80-400 is a lot better than the old one (and also a lot more expensive!).

Hi Natasha,

Just a couple of points (probably rather obvious !), but;

If you find that virtually all you photos are taken at max zoom, then perhaps consider a prime 400mm. Primes are meant to give better results than zooms.

The last 2 long lenses I've bought have been secondhand (1 from Greys of Westminster and 1 privately advertised on this site). Clearly you should be able to get a better lens for you budget, or just save money for the same lens, that you can spend on other gadgets.

Let us know what you go for.

I'm looking into investing in the Nikon 300mm F4 AF S lens and Nikon 1.4 teleconverter (I tried them for an afternoon the other week was happy with how the photos came out) or the Nikon 80-400mm VR lens (I'm torn between both lenses).

The 300mm and 1.4 converter is a great combination. There are now two versions of the 80-400mm. The earlier (and less expensive) one is not AFS and cannot be autofocused on all Nikon bodies and, compared to the AFS lenses, I find it frustratingly slow to focus even on high end bodies. The newer 80-400 is AFS and there are some very good reports on this forum but it is expensive (about £2000). So your choice may be made for you depending on your Nikon body and your budget.

Bill

If you are only interested in birds then go for the 300/4. It's light and very sharp. With the 1.4x tele you are only loosing about 5% of sharpness and it's still faster than the new 80-400/AFS VR G lens. If you also want to photograph animals then go for the zoom. It's also a very good lens.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back