• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Yosemite 8x30 and Nikon (1 Viewer)

I'm looking to this two, due their similar features and price point, the goal will be primarily to be a pair of extra binoculars to lend to other people who are interested on birding (On my country, an almost unknow activity)

BX-1 Yosemite 8x30 and Nikon Action 7x35 EX

Anyone can share some appreciations about how will they compare? I have to ask because is imposible here to try on stores before buying.

I'm also considering the much cheaper (almost half the price) 7x35 Aculon and the 6x30 Yosemite.

Hi,

the best optics you will get with the Action EX 7x35, at the price of a rather high weight at a whopping 800g and of course it's the most expensive pair.
For a pair of lending bins I would strongly recommend that they can be used well with eyeglasses in order to eliminate diopter setup time - this rules out the aculon with 11.8mm ER - the others have 15.5 (8x models), 17.3 (Action EX) or 20mm (6x models) which should be ok for most glasses.

Leypold Yosemite, Kowa YF and Opticron Savannah models in 6x30 and 8x30 are very similar and any would be a good and lightweight choice. If the intended audience is primary little kids, the 6x pair is preferred since it's a bit easier to hold stable and the field is a bit wider.
The Action EX 7x35 is also easy to hold stable and has a huge field of view and great sweet spot, but 800g is not really lightweight.

Joachim

We have the Action EX and the 6x version of the Yosemite, both used as loaner binos. Every single person who used both have preferred the Leupold because of it's much lighter weight/bulk. Some have also stated they wished the Leupold had a bit more magnification, but they have all been amazed at it's clarity. I think an 8x Yosemite would make an excellent loaner, especially since it's smaller size and weight makes them suitable for both young and old.

Another you might consider if available is the 8x36 from Redfield. It's size more or less splits the size/weight between the two binos above. It's focus is somewhat slow, but it has a surprisingly nice view that is both brighter and sharper than one would expect given it's low price.

I would chose the Nikon Action Extreme 7x35 ATB for your purposes. It is a strong, well built binocular and should hold up in rugged use as a loaner and it is economically priced. With reasonable care it will last a long time.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/action-extreme-7x35-atb.html

It is easy to use. It weighs 28 ounces, has a very wide 487' field of view at 1000 yards, a generous 17.3mm of eye relief and it is water proof. It does have a long 16 feet close focus. At 7x it will be excellent for use in following birds flying through the branches of nearby trees.

I donated one of these Nikon 7x35 Action Extreme binoculars to my American Legion Post years ago. The Legion's Bar Room has large windows which overlook a lake frequented by a nesting pair of Bald Eagles and their young along with various water fowl, Blue Herons and Egrets. There are also Swallows, Red-winged Black Birds and other common birds around. We have over 200 acres of land with a Trout Stream on it in a Conservation Easement adjacent to the lake and Red-tailed Hawks are common.

This binocular get almost daily use by many different members and it has held up remarkably well!

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back