• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manakin peru (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Struggling to I'd female type manakin coming to fruiting tree on Manu rd close to cock of the rock lodge. Quite large with ample tail and very grey, possibly no olive at all on unds and minimal on back. Ebird suggests only similar options are Jet or Yungas, but I guess there could be others (at c1700m). Any links to images might help. Nervously flicked both wings at once from time to time.

Cheers,

Larry

Leg colour? Dull pink for Yungas, grey for jet (as I'm sure you know leg colour in general is good for female manakins). Yungas should appear greenish rather than grey.

That's the problem. Pretty sure legs were fairly dull pinkish, fairly pale, but plumage tone doesn't seem to fit Yungas. Head round almost all the time, fluffed up rear once, but never could see a tuft at bill base. Also never saw white when flicked wings, but might not have been able to. Thought it would be easy once back in the world of internet!

Looking at illustrations of female Yungas, not sure you should expect a visible tuft at bill base for that species

Thanks for trying to help with this Fern. I couldn't find many images on net, so if anyone can find more it might help, esp showing legs of a female Jet, or any grey-looking manakin that might occur at that location. Frustratingly, an obviously smaller shorter-tailed, much greener one briefly appeared at same spot too

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back