• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P4 versus Leica (1 Viewer)

DJW

Having had some modestly successful results sticking a mobile phone with a 2 megapixel camera to a Swarowski scope I am very keen to get involved in Digiscoping. Having read many threads on this and other forums it would seem that the 'Golden Age' of digiscoping revolved around the Nikon Coolpix range with the 4500 being the 'best' piece of kit. It is still possible to buy this camera but it is basically obsolete. Having read many reviews the Nikon P4 looks like a good investment but I cannot find much information on Leica products. The C.Lux 1 and particularly the D.Lux 3 look particularly attractive but as I know little about digiscoping cameras I would appreciate any comments on their suitability and/or whether the Nikon would be a better bet or is there any alternative that may be more suitable. My scope is a Swarowski 80 HD with a 20 -60x zoom

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Dave,
Many people use DpReview for reports on digicams http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikonp3/ . As no cameras are designed for digiscoping it's best to look at what others are using , make a shortlist, and see what fits your requirements. It's always best to find a camera that works with an adapter but if you want to just hand hold to the eyepiece with some sort of steadying device I would look at the Sony W100 or the Fuji F30. Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back