• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snow Bunting ? (1 Viewer)

Another thing against Snow Bunting (which it isn't) is that I've never seen one perched on anything but the ground.

I've seen a flock of Snow Buntings up in a fir tree... so they can sit in trees! ;) (Although mostly I've seen them on the ground.)

I've seen a flock of Snow Buntings up in a fir tree... so they can sit in trees! ;) (Although mostly I've seen them on the ground.)

Also saw a flock in a relatively large elm tree overlooking a stubble field. They did eventually go to the ground again to feed. (but these def not snow buntings)

Scott

Another thing against Snow Bunting (which it isn't) is that I've never seen one perched on anything but the ground.

I've seen trees groan under the weight of flocks of Snow Buntings. They are also very partial to sitting on roofs and television aerials, at least in Iceland.

Snow Buntings do indeed sit in trees. Today, I saw a flock of perhaps 200, flush from a field, and sit in 2 medium sized hardwood trees. I walked to within 25 yards of them. This is the first time I have ever seen this behavior.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back