• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any experience with Pettersson M500 microphone? (1 Viewer)

HarryJ

Hi,
I would appreciate in hearing from you asap if you have experience with the relatively new Petterson M500 ultrasound microphone. Any sonograms (aka spectrograms) of bats or rodents showing ultrasounds in the range 120 to about 200 kHz would be of high interest. Doesn't matter which bat/rat but if a tropical species then information on genus/species would be useful as would be the recording distance as some tropical species have very high frequency echolocation calls and and are at the same time rather quiet.

Regards
Harry J

Hi,
Replying my own inquiry. I have now had it for 10 nights operating on bats of Trindad. I am very pleased with the M500. Will send you later some spectrograms.

Harry

Hi,
Replying my own inquiry. I have now had it for 10 nights operating on bats of Trindad. I am very pleased with the M500. Will send you later some spectrograms.

Harry

Great! I am highly interested to hear about the device. German bats are now in hibernation, but by sheer coincidence I've bought a tablet two months ago, and what I've read about the M500 was promising.

high frequencies with M500

Hi,

I get regularly up to 140kHz. The problem with the high frequencies is that the dominant frequency usually the fundamental or the 1st harmonic (H1) tends to be so strong that the higher frequencies cannot build up before signal saturation. Said that I have some cases where the maximum frequency falls between 150 and 170kHz.

Today I recorded a verspertillonid with the attached spectra fundamental, H1, and H2 visible. What do you reckon is the highest frequency in this spectrogram/sonogram?

Attachments

• Petterson_M500_about200KHz_frequency_BM_150215_192026_13399.jpg
    Petterson_M500_about200KHz_frequency_BM_150215_192026_13399.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 140
It does look like 150 kHz or even more. I know that European bats never get so high. Google offers an informative pdf paper on Myotis nigricans (Black Myotis Bat) as one species living on Trinidad, but there are probably many more Myotis on that island. Is the high recording quality of the M500 helpful to identify a Myotis bat down to species on Trinidad or is it basically the same as with European Myotis bats?

It does look like 150 kHz or even more. I know that European bats never get so high. Google offers an informative pdf paper on Myotis nigricans (Black Myotis Bat) as one species living on Trinidad, but there are probably many more Myotis on that island. Is the high recording quality of the M500 helpful to identify a Myotis bat down to species on Trinidad or is it basically the same as with European Myotis bats?

Well, if you look at the sound at 15,121 sec you can see the fundamental at about 55kHz, the H1 at 115kHz and H2 at 170kHz and weak tails to about 220-230kHz. I am quite sure European bats top 150kHz too. It depends quite a lot on the microphone and the recording system. Trinidad has about 7 vespertilionidae bat species including 3 myotis.

My win7 laptop called a quits, so I missed one night. Now I am running M500 on a small win8.1 tablet. Performance looks even better! Unfortunately for the rest of trip I can't really analyse any sounds - but can still collect them!

Well, if you look at the sound at 15,121 sec you can see the fundamental at about 55kHz, the H1 at 115kHz and H2 at 170kHz and weak tails to about 220-230kHz. I am quite sure European bats top 150kHz too. It depends quite a lot on the microphone and the recording system. Trinidad has about 7 vespertilionidae bat species including 3 myotis.

My win7 laptop called a quits, so I missed one night. Now I am running M500 on a small win8.1 tablet. Performance looks even better! Unfortunately for the rest of trip I can't really analyse any sounds - but can still collect them!

Hi Harry,

Which windows 8.1 tablet do you use? I have a Linx8 Windows 8.1 table and currently trying to figure out if it will be compatible.

Cheers,

Steve

M500 and tablet

Hi,

my tablet has a windows 8.1, is is 7", TW700 tablet, sub 100 USD/UKP/€, running intel atom CPU [email protected] with little memory/diskspace. The usable disk space is
expandable with a microSD card. The microphone cable attaches to the normal sized USB connector. I wouldn't mind if the tablet were a couple inches larger (8 or 9"). My 4 year old laptop works too, but just barely fast enough.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back