• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HELP! Wild baby bird not found by parents (1 Viewer)

iniowa

I live in a house that is surrounded by trees and shrubs -- mostly pine, cedar, and juniper, various varieties. The area seems to attract many birds each year. Cardinals, Blue Jays, a black bird (not crow, and it doesn't have a red spot on the wing), and several other smaller birds that I don't recognize. But I digress a bit.

I am writing because I need advice. Early this morning I heard a loud commotion outside, made by many of the black birds squawking. I went out quickly, and discovered that my cat had captured a baby bird on the ground. My cat is declawed (I didn't do it; he is a stray I rescued), and very gentle. So even his hunting is rather mild. He may have been mostly just looking at the bird. It looks like I got there before the bird was injured. There is no blood, and the baby bird can keep its wings folded. (I say this because I've seen birds with injured wings, and the wing just hangs.) I am keeping the cat inside until I can be sure the parents of the bird have found it.

But that is where the problem is. This was several hours ago, and the bird is still calling, but no adult birds are responding. What should I do? How long should I wait before deciding the parents are for some reason not going to attend to the baby? I read somewhere the suggestion to feed a rescued wild baby bird cat food, until it is found by its parents. Is this what anyone on this forum has tried? And if I do it, how is it done? Put the bird in a box, and some cat food in with it? Or what?
Any suggestions about this problem of the baby bird would be very welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum. The best course of action would be to find a wildlife rehabilitator in your area. You can call Fish and Wildlife and they will give you the contact info for the nearest rehabber or rehab center. Without knowing what kind of baby you have, I cannot offer any suggestions for foster care- which is best left to the professionals in any case. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hello! I am in a similar situation and I read in this forum that the best thing to do is wait for the parents to come back. Stay away! the parents are too cautios around humans etc, and won;t approach their young if you are around. Also if you see the babies nest put it back ... the birds don't mind you r scent contrary to beliefs... Be sure the bird is warm before you put it in the nest.. you can warm it in your hands/body. Adult birds will push away a old baby from their nest.
the link is http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=36564
its called "If You Find A BABY Bird"
I wish you luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back