• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The final 2 dragonfly IDs for the season? (1 Viewer)

Macswede

Macswede
Didn't really expect to be posting any more dragonfly IDs this year but I saw a nice dragonfly at Tyresta National Park last Saturday and I got a good shot of another dragonfly at my local patch outside Stockholm today.
I've tried to ID them myself but I'm just not sure.

I think the first one is some kind of darter. I have learned that male darters are often red. I think it's a Ruddy Darter Sympetrum sanguineum or a Vagrant Darter Sympetrum vulgatum.
The second one seems to be a Migrant Hawker Aeshna mixta but it could well be a Common Hawker Aeshna juncea

I'm probably way off with both!

Attachments

• P1020320.jpg
    P1020320.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 117
  • P1020295.jpg
    P1020295.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 132
Macswede said:
Didn't really expect to be posting any more dragonfly IDs this year but I saw a nice dragonfly at Tyresta National Park last Saturday and I got a good shot of another dragonfly at my local patch outside Stockholm today.

I think the first one is some kind of darter. I have learned that male darters are often red. I think it's a Ruddy Darter Sympetrum sanguineum or a Vagrant Darter Sympetrum vulgatum.
The second one seems to be a Migrant Hawker Aeshna mixta but it could well be a Common Hawker Aeshna juncea

Me, of who'm everyone who is likely to answer this thread would say"Couldn't ID a Ruddy Darter", says:
Ruddy Darter and Migrant Hawker!.

PS

Its the whiskey talkingB :)

Not familiar with Vagrant Darter so I can't be certain of the first (it should have yellow stripes on legs like Common Darter) but the second has the long, narrow antehumeral stripes and the very 'waisted' segment in the abdomen typical of Common Hawker

ps - it's the wine talking!

YW Darter and Common Hawker?

My suspicion is yellow-winged darter but might be Common Darter, I can see yellow stripes on legs after putting image through Photoshop so I don't think its Ruddy Darter. And Common Hawker looks more likely to me as well.
Hugh

Sympetrum sanguineum (Ruddy Darter) and Aeshna juncea (Common Hawker) for me. I think the apparent leg stripe could just be light catching the top of the leg and on abdomen shape and depth of colour it looks right for Ruddy Darter. Thorax and eyes look deep reddish too.

Macswede said:

In my opinion they are Ruddy Darter, the 'waist' on the abdomen is (even from an angular photograph) is more defined than the Common Darter. The other spm is a Common Hawker.

Harry

Last edited:
Had a look at a site I found with a list of dragonflies that have been found in the municipality where my local patch is situated. None of the darters mentioned has been found there according to the list (don't know when it was last updated) but the Ruddy Darter has been found at other sites in the municipality.
I'm enlosing another picture in case that helps.
Graham

Attachments

• P1020323.jpg
    P1020323.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 127
Macswede said:
Had a look at a site I found with a list of dragonflies that have been found in the municipality where my local patch is situated. None of the darters mentioned has been found there according to the list (don't know when it was last updated) but the Ruddy Darter has been found at other sites in the municipality.
I'm enlosing another picture in case that helps.
Graham
It is a Ruddy Darter.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back