• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comparing 8x42/8x32 BL BR (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Has anyone any thoughts on the above, I've been looking at the specs for these two and wondering if the extra field of view and close focusing of the 8x32 would outweigh the optical advantages (if any?) of the bigger 8x42 model?

Matt

To be honest its the lighter weight, size and handling that sold me the 8x33 HG (next model up - but the comments still apply).
I do have some reasonable 8x40 something in another brand but after seeing what I grabbed most of the time it was the smaller 8x32.
If you are doing a lot of low light birding then you may find that the x42 is marginally better, also as everyones eyes are different you may find that either one is easier to use, but only you can decide that.
My views alone and you can find folks who prefer the bigger bins for equally valid reasons. Best of luck with whatever you choose anyway.

J

Strangely according to Minox's literature the 8x32 are the same weight as the 8x42! I was surprised to read this, but they do feel much the same in the hand, must check it on the scales.

Ignore the Germans.....:C

Believe what we put on the Newpro / Minox UK website.... :t:

8x32 BL - 525g

8x42 BL & 10x42 BL - just a tad over 600g each (Sorry, I'm at home and have no access to those binos or scales....!)

ATB,

Dave.

I recall reading somehwere that the difference between 8x32s and 8x42s is about 25 minutes at either end of the day! Mind you, on the basis that somewhen that 25 mins might be vital I use 8x42s!
John

I recall reading somehwere that the difference between 8x32s and 8x42s is about 25 minutes at either end of the day! Mind you, on the basis that somewhen that 25 mins might be vital I use 8x42s!
John
John,

We go to Jasper, Alberta each summer where daylight lingers past 2300 hours.
I bird all day with my SE 8X32 and around 2100 switch to the Ultravid 7X42. The only downside is sleep deprivation!

John

Finally had a chance to try out the Minox 8x32 today at Cleyspy's new showroom next door to the Cley visitor centre and was invited to compare it with the Opticron Verano BGA 8x32 and Nikon Monarch 8x36 at my leisure!

First impressions the Nikon seemed to be a bit brighter than both the Opticron and Minox but the Minox had slightly more clarity at midrange, the design of all three was very impressive but the Minox has to be handled to truely appreciate the build quality, also felt very compact in the hands.

After enjoying the larger field of view and extra close focusing and compactness of these 8x32 models I've answered my own question!!!

Matt

Finally had a chance to try out the Minox 8x32 today at Cleyspy's new showroom next door to the Cley visitor centre and was invited to compare it with the Opticron Verano BGA 8x32 and Nikon Monarch 8x36 at my leisure!

First impressions the Nikon seemed to be a bit brighter than both the Opticron and Minox but the Minox had slightly more clarity at midrange, the design of all three was very impressive but the Minox has to be handled to truely appreciate the build quality, also felt very compact in the hands.

After enjoying the larger field of view and extra close focusing and compactness of these 8x32 models I've answered my own question!!!

Matt

Hello Matt,

I just bought a pair of BL 8x32 BR's this weekend on the annual bird festival in Holland.
After six months of using big 985 gram porro's, I couldn't be happier with these small, lightweight bins! Even for 32 mm bins they are lightweight at 525 grams. Clarity and sharpness are excellent, FOV is 130 m/1000m, and the handling... well, only hours after I bought them and played with them, they felt as comfortable in my hands as if I've had them for years. Amazingly good fit, quite compact and just right. A delight to carry around.
No more neck problems in the future, I've finally come to my senses. Even my 685 gram Bynolyt roofs were a problem I couldn't cope with, and I got rid of them in the end.
The 4 mm exit pupil will do for 95 % of my birding, I can live with that.

Now I'll have to find a lightweight Minox scope as well and toss out the Zeiss.:t:

Am I glad I popped in on the Minox stand last sunday!

Best regards,

Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back