• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Damaged eyecup on zoom eyepiece (1 Viewer)

shuffle

I recently bought a cap for my zoom eyepiece thinking I should do everything possible to protect it. It was always a tight fit and today as I've twisted the cap off I've pulled the whole twist eyecup off as well!!!
Checking it back home in the light I can see there are 3 recessed little silver spheres set into the edge of the eyepiece and the plastic collar of the eyecup has 3 grooves in it which the little silver spheres should sit in to hold everyting in place. One of these is now missing and my chances of finding it again in the muddy field where all this happened are zero. The result is the the eyecup is now loose and lop sided.

Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have a suggestion for someone in the UK who might be able to fix this for me?

I bought the eyepiece second hand a while ago so I don't have any passport/warranty cover.

I recently bought a cap for my zoom eyepiece thinking I should do everything possible to protect it. It was always a tight fit and today as I've twisted the cap off I've pulled the whole twist eyecup off as well!!!
Checking it back home in the light I can see there are 3 recessed little silver spheres set into the edge of the eyepiece and the plastic collar of the eyecup has 3 grooves in it which the little silver spheres should sit in to hold everyting in place. One of these is now missing and my chances of finding it again in the muddy field where all this happened are zero. The result is the the eyecup is now loose and lop sided.

Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have a suggestion for someone in the UK who might be able to fix this for me?

I bought the eyepiece second hand a while ago so I don't have any passport/warranty cover.

I damaged my Leica zoom in a similar way and got it repaired at Leica UK. Cannot remember how much it cost but you can always give them a call.

Leica Camera Ltd / Davy Avenue / Knowlhill / Milton Keynes MK5 8LB / UK

www.leica-camera.co.uk/ / Email: service 'at' leica-camera.co.uk

Tel: +44 (0) 1908 256400 / Fax: +44 (0) 1908 671316

Last edited:
Fixed!

Well I managed to sort this out myself but thanks anyway for the helpful reply barontan.

The little spheres that the eyecup rotates on are, of course, ball bearings and after going back to try and spot it where it fell it occurred to me to look again at the eyepiece itself and there was the displaced ball bearing sat in the well which the eyecup closes down into.

With a lot of fiddling about, that included knocking a second ball bearing out, I eventually got all 3 in place and manged to get the eyecup back on properly with the ball bearings in the grooves holding everything secure and square.

So if this happens to anyone else look down in the recess between the eyepiece itself and the outer case, the ball bearing is as likely to drop down there as to fall out completely.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back