• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox HG focus wheel (1 Viewer)

mbeard

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if the focus wheel on HGs gets easier to turn after a bit of wearing in? The reason that I ask is that I am comparing the 8x33 against 8.5x43 and found the 8x33 wheel much easier to turn which I prefer, but thought that the 8.5x43 might well have been tested more often by shoppers.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Mike Beard

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

I don't follow. Shouldn't the 8.5x43 be the one with easier focusing? As more people try a bino this should loosen up the focus wheel, or not?

I own a BL 8x32 with a very smooth focuser and am very happy with it.

Regards,

Ronald

Ah, yes, thanks for pointing that out. I appear to have confused myself in the initial post. Apologies.

It was the 8.5x43 with the smoother focus, and most likely to have been tested out by shoppers.

Mike

Ah, yes, thanks for pointing that out. I appear to have confused myself in the initial post. Apologies.

It was the 8.5x43 with the smoother focus, and most likely to have been tested out by shoppers.

Mike

Mike, can't speak for the HG's, but before I bought my BL's I tried out two specimens of the 8x32. One that was used as a demonstration model, the second new-in-box and sealed. After some consideration I decided to go for the first as it was very slightly better optically, and the focuser was really smooth. The new-in-box BL's had a slightly less smooth focuser.
In my opinion they will loosen up in use.
It's been 7 months now that I've owned my BL's and I'm impressed with the quality of the bins. They've been soaked in downpours and drizzle, they look as new and everything works brilliantly. Focuser is as smooth as it was on day one.
The HG models are certainly worth considering, with better quality optics than the BL's.

Best regards,

Ronald

I own the HG 8 x 33 and have no complaints whatsoever with the smoothness of focussing. Other than the Leica BN and BA series binoculars which relied on the natural lubricity of brass against aluminum, all other binoculars look to grease for smoothness of operation.

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if the focus wheel on HGs gets easier to turn after a bit of wearing in? The reason that I ask is that I am comparing the 8x33 against 8.5x43 and found the 8x33 wheel much easier to turn which I prefer, but thought that the 8.5x43 might well have been tested more often by shoppers.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Mike Beard

Hi Mike,
About a year ago I bought a used 8.5x43 HG off the most popular auction site for about $500. The focus wheel was stiff and uneven in smoothness. The range marks were also off which indicated either poor assembly quality or someone had been in it. (a bit off topic but I should mention that the rubber coating had a strong almost gasoline like odor, which by itself I could not live with) . (The optical image however was to my eyes, superb and as good as my Leica 8x32BN.) I returned the binocular to the owner and got my money back. He sent it back to Minox and they repaired the focus free.
Jim

Thanks everyone. I have found a deal on the Nikon HG L 8x32 that tick as many if not more boxes than the Minox so I suspect that I will never be able to prove either way in this case, but the general opinion does definitely seem to be that the focus will loosen up with use.

Thanks everyone. I have found a deal on the Nikon HG L 8x32 that tick as many if not more boxes than the Minox so I suspect that I will never be able to prove either way in this case, but the general opinion does definitely seem to be that the focus will loosen up with use.

Hopefully, you will get an HG L with a precise focuser.

My first sample 8x32 LX had a loose focuser. My friend liked it because it was "ultra fast", but it was too fast for me since I kept on overshooting my targets.

I thought this was the "norm" and how they were designed since in the review section of BF, several 8x32 LX owners remarked about the focuser being "too fast" and how it took some getting used to.

But then I read comments by others saying their 8x32 LX had a buttery smooth and precise focuser, so I bought a second sample, and it works like a charm.

It's still quite "fast" focusing compared to my sluggish 8x SE and EII, but I got used to it and actually prefer the focuser now.

Good Luck!

Brock

Just for rederence I have tested Minox 8x33, 8.5 x 43 and 10x43 Minox HGs tonight and there is no noticeable difference in the focussing between them - the oldest 8x33 was always smooth. Any problems here look like specific assembly or user induced.

N.B. None of them have any noticeable smell - it may be that one of the earlier batches had a bad mix for the amouring, it might explain Thola's review?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back