• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x25 CL-P best compact binocular? (1 Viewer)

In Manchester, every day is CA-check day............. :eek!: :-O

Lee

It is ;)

Here i miss my superb 8X42 HT for sure I would not complain about too bright view as i do when i am in my sunny and bright Spain :-O

For those super bright landscapes the Ultravid HD Plus and his let say a little bit exaggerated saturation is a very welcome filter agains the bright.

Still raining B :)B :) so Pub evening day.

It is ;)

Here i miss my superb 8X42 HT for sure I would not complain about too bright view as i do when i am in my sunny and bright Spain :-O

For those super bright landscapes the Ultravid HD Plus and his let say a little bit exaggerated saturation is a very welcome filter agains the bright.

Still raining B :)B :) so Pub evening day.

Not always sunny and bright in Spain though.

Last year we were in the east Pyrenees searching for orchids at a favourite spot of ours and we had the most incredible thunderstorms. We were very, very lucky as our mountain top didn't actually receive any rain but the dark electric storms passing nearby were fantastic. The drive back up the coast to the Languedoc was also interesting due to amount of water on the A9.

Lee

The Kowa's are 8x22 rather than 8x25 like the Swarovski. They have a wider FOV than the Swarovski's: 393' @ 1000yds to 357'@1000yards. They have shorter eye relief at 15mm to the Swarovskis 17mm.

Bob

I just bought the Swarovski 8x25 CL because i want something brighter and steady to hold than my Ultravid 10x25.
There is a review of the new Kowas and it looks like they are better than the swaros with CA control.

Lets wait and see.

Cheers.

Well, I have not seen the new Kowa compact, but tried pretty much everything else in compacts and the Swaro CL pocket 8x25 is the best by miles, it's as good as many 8x30's, like have an 8x30 in a smaller package.

Is the new Kowa a dual hinge like the Swaro or single hinge like the Kowa BD 8x25 ? I cant seem to find it.

Last edited:
Thanks canip,

It looks extremely nice on paper, big improvement on the BD and widest compact FOV / close focus. I had a search around, seems they are around £600 in the UK, thats a lot of money for a compact, given the Swaro CL pocket is just over £400, I think the Kowa would have to be something extremely special to justify it. I would be interested to look through one, and also compare the build quality with the Swaro. The thing I like about the Swaro CL pocket apart from the excellent clarity and brightness, is that for a compact, it seems to me to perform and view like a much bigger binocular.

Have heard so much about swarowski binoculars but boy was i wrong.

First of all, dont call this cl pocket for a pocket binocular. It has a really strange size. Way to big to fit in your jeans or jacket. Okay in the jacket it fit but its a big pocket binocular. Probobly The biggest.

Second, The optics. what a dissapointment. I have a Bushnell xlt 8x32 and besides The swarowski us sharp to The edge there are no differens.

The swarowski has a very narrow field of view.

A thing i also noticed was that it had The ball effect. things band about 1/3 from The edge and becomes smaller The closer The objekt comes to The edge. Really disturbing.

I think The only thing that was good was The clear picture.

I sent it back and gonna buy some cheap Bushnell small size or kowa. / Joakim

Have heard so much about swarowski binoculars but boy was i wrong.

First of all, dont call this cl pocket for a pocket binocular. It has a really strange size. Way to big to fit in your jeans or jacket. Okay in the jacket it fit but its a big pocket binocular. Probobly The biggest.

Second, The optics. what a dissapointment. I have a Bushnell xlt 8x32 and besides The swarowski us sharp to The edge there are no differens.

The swarowski has a very narrow field of view.

A thing i also noticed was that it had The ball effect. things band about 1/3 from The edge and becomes smaller The closer The objekt comes to The edge. Really disturbing.

I think The only thing that was good was The clear picture.

I sent it back and gonna buy some cheap Bushnell small size or kowa. / Joakim

Just shows how different peoples view are. I have had the Swarovski 8x25 for a while and they are simply excellent. I am not quite sure why i would want a pair of binoculars that fit in my jeans but the 8x25 will easily fit in any reasonable sized jacket pocket without any issue. I take the 8x25 when hiking, mountain biking etc and they perform really well for there intended purpose. No rolling ball effect, the image is clear, bright and great all the way to the edges. I've lost count of the number of binoculars i have tried but i have yet to come across another small binocular thats small that delivers this sort of image quality. Sure there are lots of binoculars out there that are potentially better but in my experience they are all considerable larger.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back